Thursday, September 23, 2010

so......we like to dress up

If you happened to stumble upon our end-of-summer (Robby's side) family get together....you might just think we are crazy. And maybe we are. But let me tell you....crazy is fun! So WHAT if we're having a full-on themed costume party in September while we all stay on the beach....that's how we like it!

With Halloween coming up right around the corner, I thought I'd share the last few years of our family's costumes.....because, not to toot our own horns.....but TOOT TOOT!
I think we are pretty good.

I have no idea how the whole dressing up thing started really. We used to thrown on a lei or a cowboy hat and call it good. But then a few years ago, our theme night was "Pirates" and we all got a little bit out of control.

note: we never ever ever know what each other are wearing. It's always a surprise, and always so fun to see how well we coordinate!)

Pirates.


pirates copy

the ladies. yes. that first one is a lady. one of my very favorites too.
Picture 6

What you need to be a pirate:
(all these items were thrifted.....some the day of the party!)
-women's blouses. gah. I hate the word blouse. But in this case, the blousier, the better.
-women's vests.
-cut offs.
-gaudy jewelry and accessories, or a TON of your own jewelry layerd
-anything striped
-bandanas
-my little family's eyepatches and clip on earrings were the only things we bought new.
-eyeliner of course! perfect for hairy eyebrows, whiskers, moles, blacked out teeth, and Jack Sparrow's famous guyliner look.


Picture 10

Picture 4

next up: Super Heros!!


Picture 11

more special than super.

Picture 12

What you need to be a superhero:

-Anything shiny!
-emergency blankets!
-shiny fabric from Walmart
-my shiny leotard was thrifted
-belts, thrifted
-sparkle tights on clearance
-shiny oxfords for $3 at Forever 21
-I made the girl's skirt super fast with some tulle
Picture 13

And this year.....

Cavemen!!
(ha! the best part about this photo is that kyle and ryan s. are so hairy you can't even see them!)
cavemen copy

We have never looked lovelier.
cavewomen copy

What you need to be a caveman:
-animal print--I swear the cheap stuff is always on sale at Joann's. I made all of our costumes with 3 yds. I do NOT sew--these were basically just tubes with arm and head holes.
-"bones" for our hair made from tinfoil wrapped in masking tape and then burnt on the stove
-clubs made from tin foil, butcher paper, and masking tape burnt on the stove
-the boy's tooth necklace is masking tape
-Robby's necklace is an actuall skeleton he found on the beach. gross.
-heavy on the bronzer, and eyeliner for facial hair, awesome teeth, moles, and smudges
-You really do need my hair on this one

cavefamily copy
cavekids
caveus copy


and that is us in a nutshell.

The funny thing is, it has never occurred to me to maybe take a photo of the eight of us kids (Robby's, two bros, one sis, and spouses) all NOT dressed up.

We really are semi normal looking people in real life, I swear.

18 comments:

Daniel & Mindy said...

i absolutely LOVE this.
i'll have to suggest it for my familys beach trip. they may not cooperate, but we'll try at least :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it! It is quite liberating to "dress up". I definitely want to for Halloween -- I can't wait -- I love doing themes with my husband. :P

Alex said...

What a fun familiy tradition!!

Tara said...

ahahaha! I can't stop laughing. LOVE the theme, once again. That family photo is PRICELESS. Cute little caveman children. Justin and I were cavemen for Halloween one year. Our costumes weren't nearly as cool, but we did have Reed tell us, "um, you guys look really gross." haha, you guys look gross too, I must say. But in a good way.
Thanks for posting all of the years, you know how much I L-O-V-E that family tradition of yours. And... I never really noticed what a scumbag Rob looks like in that last pirate picture. :)

Natalie said...

I can't stop laughing at this year's! Robby's face as he's picking bugs out of your hair is out of control! Love all of it!

ali said...

I love costume day!

Din said...

This just made my day! :) what a fun-loving family you have!

banananutmeg said...

you are my fave.

Mandy said...

Can I just say, your family is rad.

Semidipapavero said...

Lovely!

Bethany said...

BAHAHA you guys rock the universe. love the brows sheena! can't wait to see what you come up with for halloween.

Hayley said...

SICK! lol. i love it!

Polina said...

Such a cool family tradition! It must be so uniting :)
The fotos are superb!

summer said...

this is AWESOME.
my husband's family would be so into this.

Cami said...

I love them all but the "more special than super" has to be my favorite! I'll have to show my kids that I'm not the only parent who likes to dress the part!

Lula. said...

You guys are so fun! I wish I could get my family to do something like that. Never in a million years. And you are a beautiful cavewoman. How is that possible?

Jen said...

Really cool outfits guys! It's awesome that you are including the kids. With Halloween coming up, you probably are thinking up some new costume ideas - looking forward to seeing some more photos!
This year I'm thinking of the pirate theme for my daughter. I really like the pirate shirt that your husband is wearing, it looks great! I've been looking for one like that, but can't seem to find one anywhere. Thanks again for the photos, you look like you are having so much fun!

tickled in love said...

I loved your unique and creative costumes and had to add you to my round-up, "87 Creative Halloween Couples Costumes" (http://www.thedatingdivas.com/holidays/halloween/87-creative-couples-costumes/). Thanks for being awesome, love your photography, and Happy Halloween from The Dating Divas xox