Tuesday, August 23, 2011

double chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirls

I feel like this ice cream should come with a warning. 
It's allllooooooootttt.
Not a lot of ice cream--I bet you look at it and think, "hey! that's not enough!"
But a lot to handle. 

So so so chocolaty and creamy and the richest of rich.
With perfect little tidbits of salty peanut butter in-between.

I was eating it, slowly, almost drowning in it's goodness, and contemplating.....
could this be the cure for cancer*?
the answer for world peace?
am I in Heaven right now.....this can't be real.


Most likely it will stop hearts and cause diabetes.....
Like I said, it's rich...but worth every single bite, I assure you.
double chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirls

Double Chocolate Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Swirls
this recipe is adapted from Pick Yin--I used the same method, but added an egg yolk, changed up the chocolate a bit, and added the peanut butter.

2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
4 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
1/2cup + 1/8 cup sugar
pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1/3 cup natural peanut butter + a pinch of salt, room temperature

Place the chopped chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Warm 1 cup of the cream with cocoa powder in medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to boil then reduce heat and gently simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and pour the mixture over the chopped chocolate, scraping the saucepan clean as much as possible. Let stand for about 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Add in the remaining cup of cream and mix well. Place a mesh strainer atop the bowl and set aside.

Warm the milk, sugar and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks until they are a light yellow color. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking lightly but constantly, then scrape the warmed yolks back into the saucepan. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, making sure to scrape the bottom and corners of the pan. Stir until the mixture thickens and reaches nappe consistency (the custard should coat the back of the spoon).

Pour custard through the strainer into the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth, then add in the vanilla. Continue to stir over an ice bath until cool. Refrigerate the mixture to cool thoroughly. Place the mixture in your ice cream maker and follow manufactures instructions.

When you ice cream is about halfway frozen--not all the way done, but firm enough the the peanut butter won't disappear into a chocolate abyss, take a spoon and drizzle ribbons of peanut butter onto ice cream. Turn machine on and let it mix a few times, and open it up and add more peanut butter. Repeat until your pb is gone. Let ice cream continue to mix and freeze until the machine has run it's course, and you have delicious, heart stopping ice cream.

enjoy!

*if it doesn't cure cancer, it DOES cure the my-kids-left-me-for-school-blues--no bowl required, just grab a spoon and dig in!

14 comments:

summer said...

NO. i don't believe it. this looks exactly like my favorite carton of ice cream from Target! the only ice cream i ever crave! i bet the littles loved you for this :)

Kim said...

This icecream looks perfect and so creamy! I definitly like it!

Anonymous said...

o my gosh it's perfect!! I could imagine my self eating it with my eyes closed.

Hannah Nicole said...

Oh my goodness. That looks even better than delicious. Creamy, smooth, and ohhhhsoooochocolatey. Adding this to my must-make list. And consequently, putting a little note to make sure I run an extra mile. ;)

Alex said...

My mouth is watering uncontrollably.

Ang said...

the "my-kids-left-me-for-school-blues" - you make it sound like they wanted to...you know they'd rather be at home with you painting up a storm and delving into this amazing looking ice cream! ;)

Kaitlyn Luce said...

Peanut butter + chocolate is my weakness. Always. Especially in ice cream form.

Tam. said...

oh.my.word. I can't wait to try that this weekend! My kids have two weeks left of summer...I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to the restrictive schedule school/homework dictates....Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Maria said...

Woah! looks delicious!

Maria @ Orchard Bloom 

PickYin said...

Thanks to David Lebovitz - the ice cream God for this. Good take with the addition of peanut butter here.

tanalicious said...

oh sheena. just stop it.. i dont have an ice cream maker and now i'm going to have to go out and buy one!

which do you have? or recommend? eh?

wanna go see the Help when it hits the dollars?

Bridget said...

nicely done. niceeeeely done.

Melissa said...

I just made the Pick Yin version on Sunday and it was to.die.for. (just the perfect thing for a pregnant gal like me)... but I'm so trying this version next time! :)

Melissa said...

oh and p.s. - we made homemade cones on a pizzelle iron... which was so easy and so fun! It made the house smell like the ice cream shop on Main Street at Disneyland!