Wednesday, January 25, 2012

two niner

disclaimer: I started this as a simple quick post. and then it just kept going. and going and going.
So I wrote it out for ME.....but you can read it too, if you have too much time on your hands, a snack to enjoy, and something to keep you hydrated.


Short version: today is my birthday.  I like being outside. 29 is going to be awesome.


me. a few weeks back when charly and I were headed up up up the mountain to escape the inversion.
me
and she has officially entered her 30th year.
she being me.
29 years old.
whoa.
how. 
what?!

I am actually, really, the more I think about it........EXCITED! 
This is going to be a good year....I know it.

28 was a turning point for me.

But first, let's go back.
waaaaaaay back.

19. 
I was married. 
NINETEEN! 
The hardest part about being so young (NINETEEN!!!) when you get married, is that you are most definitely, for sure, in no way, grown up yet. 
Oh, you THINK you are.....but you are not. 
I was not. 
So while trying to adjust to newly wedded bliss and modern housewifery, full time school and work......you are still trying to grow up. 
That's aLOT going on at once.
Oh, and remember how you are 19?

You start to maybe, kinda, sorta, get a grasp on your early 20s, and then BAM!! 
At 22 you have a beautiful, perfect, long-lashed baby boy. 
New motherhood is a challenge at any age, but 22! 
You are still working on YOU! 
Early and mid-twenties flash by in a frenzy of diapers and wipes and tickling of toes...
....because now a lovely little curly headed girl has joined the family.
You will one day wake up and realize that you never quite finished that whole "growing up" thing--you were too busy birthing babies and helping them take their own first steps.
What do you like? What makes you, you?
Being a mother is your absolute favorite thing in the entire world. 
In the UNIVERSE! 
It is the bestest of the best.
But it does not define you.

You start to try things out. 
Test the waters. 
What are the other mothers doing?
You try your hand at scrapbooking. HA! that didn't last long.
You dabble in this and that, motherly hobbies that fizzle out in days. 
You are lost. 

You care too much about what others think,
and don't think enough for yourself. 

And then one day, it clicks.
Without searching or asking or watching what the others are doing.

You decide to take your usual run to a trail.
You leap over.
Dodge under.
Your feet are quick.
You fall.
Get back up.
THIS is what you've been missing.
Outside. 
Simple as that.
Nothing you could have found in Super Mom Magazine,
and nothing Oprah told you to do.

Outside.

Something you grew up with,
but for some reason,
these last few years you forgot.
Forgot how wonderful it is to just be out.

And from there on out, you are good to go.
It's you! You're back!
You re-prioritize.
You get your family outside more.
Make sure you all get good and dirty.
Often.
You simply came back to what you liked growing up.
Nothing new, or trendy.....it was just YOU.

I am excited for what this new year will bring for me.
What will 29 have in store?
Hands in the dirt.
Climbs up mountains.
Camping under stars.
Blisters on our feet, scuffs on our knees.
Lakes. Rivers. Streams.
Bugs and Birds.
Eating food we planted and grew.
Teaching my Littles about all these things, and how important they are to me.

And most importantly, continuing to sift out those unimportant things in my life, and focus on all of the (MANY!) little things I love, and that make me, me.

***


WOW. Did we get just a little cheesy? Please refer to last week's post on actual cheese if you feel like you are in the mood, thanks to this post.



Where did all this come from? I think maybe my parents found me in the woods.
Sheena(4mos) & Clem 1983
Sheena 1990

Last year of my 20s....let's go!

42 comments:

Maria Diana said...

Happy Birthday!

Anna Scandinavian Cottage said...

Have a great Birthday!

Marina Lind Schmitt said...

Happy happy Birthday!

Kris and Corissa said...

happy birthday! enjoy the outdoors!

tegyn said...

happy birthday Sheena!! cant wait to see what 29 has in store for you. its never anything less than amazing. :)

Lori Folkman said...

Aw, I remember that doggie. Was that Clem?

You've always been the cutest sunshiney girl! Happy Birthday! And 29 is YOUNG!

kayla said...

happy birthday sister! i still have some awesome snowshoes for your outdoor adventures (and lots of snow for you to try them out in...)

Hannah Mayo said...

Happy Birthday! I love your thoughts here. I was married at 19 too, and my son was born when I was 21. Now at 24 I'm about to have another son. I can relate so much to what you wrote. I am kind of in the middle of all that. My work as a photographer has been my grounding thing that keeps me in touch with me. This post makes me want to go outside :)

Kellie said...

I'll be 28 this year and I feel like I'm just beginning to find "myself." Thank you SO much for sharing this post, even though it was for you. :) Happy, happy birthday!

connie said...

Happy Birthday! Although I didn't get married at 19, I can still relate to what you wrote about thinking I was so grown up at that age! I am a little older than you, but the best part about being 29 is that you still have lots to learn, but you've learned so much. Best wishes on the anniversary of your birth, hopefully today will be filled with sunshine and smiles...and of course, a fab chocolate cake :-)

Clandestine Road said...

Happy birthday!

cara lou said...

Happy birthday (again)!

I liked this post very much. I too was married at 19, before I knew who I was and what I wanted. Luckily for me, I got it figured out quite a bit before having a baby at 26, but even still, the past 4 years have been about discovery. And now I'm 30, which is freaky to actually every say, because I still feel like a girl, not a woman. But I'm also very excited for my 30s -- I think they're going to be the best ever!!!

Have a fantastic year. :)

jen said...

have a beautiful year outside!

Laura said...

I love the outdoors too!!! Makes me feel so alive. :) Happy birthday!! Love the long-ago pics, so cute.

I got married and had kids young too, before I figured out what I liked to do. Lots of self discovery in the midst of marital stress and needy children, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Have a great great year!!

Darcy said...

Happy Birthday Sheena! I hope your year is full of many wonderful outdoor adventures!

Thank you for sharing these thoughts with us. I think most of us can relate to them and have a similar story. These are the years of discovery for so many women and I feel like now, at age 32 (I also got married at 19), I am finally getting to know myself and what I want. It is comforting and inspiring at the same time to hear you voice the same realizations and challenges that I've also had. Thanks again and have the best birthday ever!

Rebekah said...

Happy Birthday Sheena!! I sure do love and miss you!!

Claire said...

I LOVE THIS. Reading about this epiphany of yours has inspired an epiphany in me: I miss Outside too. Right now, I'm the 22 year old about to have my first baby. Inside feels very comfortable. But what happened to my first 20 years of Outside? They're gone!

But you've inspired me to bring them back. Right away. It makes me a little nervous, because I'm not sure how to do it right away. But I"m going to try.

Thank you for your story! And happy birthday :)

judi said...

Happy Happy Birthday to our Sweet Baby Girl!

ps: you are making me old!

Tanae Nelson said...

Happy Birthday Sheena. What a great time to start fresh on a new year and to spend more time on doing what make you happy. Life it too short to worry about everyone else. By the way, it only gets better at 30+ :)

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday Sheena! Glad you re-discovered yourself and your passion. Enjoy the last year of your 20's!

Faith said...

what a great post! happy birthday! it's my last year in my 20s as well ... and i'm excited :) i have a feeling this is going to be the best year for you and i!

Kimber said...

happy birthday, beautiful!

Tara said...

Holy chunky baby!! You're giving Kyle a run for his money! haha... so awesome.
Anyway...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Glad you've been having so much fun in the great outdoors. It IS fun. I'm excited for the day we can do so much more when Kyle is bigger. I laughed about the scrapbooking thing because I just started doing it again yesterday. :) Makenzie just FAWNS over her scrapbook and it feels so mean not to make one for Kyle and finish up Jarom's. So I will make VERY basic ones for their early years and call it good, but the whole time I feel like a mom from a different era. haha
Hope you are having an awesome birthday!! Love ya!

Carrie said...

Perfect. I'm on the same timeline you are (+ 1 baby) and I couldn't have said it better myself. Happy birthday and yay for 29! I'll be there with you on October!

summer said...

happy birthday, you pretty young thing! hope today is full of that feeling that it's totally YOUR day :)

Lillie said...

Happy Birthday you darling girl.

gram said...

Beautiful post from a beautiful grand-daughter! love from gram

Kenny said...

Have a great birthday! I'm making your brussel sprouts w/avocado and bacon recipe tonight. Can't wait!

Rachael said...

Happy Birthday!!
I loved your post! I love what you said about just following what you wanted to do in life, and not listening to what 'everyone else' is doing. That's why I love your blog.
And wow, I didn't know you got married so young!! I'm 26 and I can't even imagining marrying someone, let alone already having kids!
My Mom had my sister and I(we're twins) at 22 though. So you're not alone in that!

Rachael said...

Oh, and I love the new look of your blog! Very cute.

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday! I think I will be more OUT when the weather warms up. enjoy yourself!

Meg said...

Happy Birthday Sheena! I hear ya, I was married at 19 too. Discovering yourself alongside husband and kiddos can be challenging, but I'm glad you've found your passion and what makes you happy. I hope it's a wonderful year for you!

Janssen said...

This is something I desperately want for my children too. It makes me happy that my little girl loves poking around in the dirt.

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

Happy Birthday! I am 29 too. Welcome to the club :) I ran my first half marathon on my 29th birthday, I hope you're having a great day!

kyleen said...

I hope you have a wonderful Birthday! I loved this post; it's so honest and wise. I hope I have as much wisdom as you when I grow up (:

kassidi bridge said...

Happy Birthday Dear Sheena! Loved this post. I can relate with you so much on the outdoors. Life is so much better outside!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sheena!

My daughters FIRST birthday was yesterday <3
So I wont forget yours!!

You are a pleasant reminder to just- enjoy life.

Thanks for that.

Lacey Parr said...

I hope you have a very happy birthday! Thanks for all the inspiring posts. And I agree, being outside is the best! :) Thanks for always reminding me that the simplest thing is often the best thing.

Hayley said...

awesome. happy birthday sheena!!!!

California Girl said...

Great Post! Always good to reflect a bit and find yourself again!! I really enjoyed turning 30...camped in the snow...definately reconnected with the outside world!! You should plan an adventure for next year!!

Courtney said...

Happy Bday (yesterday) Sheena. You are def a Montana girl!

Courtney said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for writing this. I was married a month after my 20th birthday to the love of my life who I had been dating since my 19th birthday. So I sometimes feel like I never found me. So thank you for your thoughts and Happy Birthday!