Wednesday, February 15, 2012

whole wheat banana muffins with homemade coconut butter

Coconut Butter. 
I had never heard of such a thing until I stumbled upon this easy how-to.
And that, my friends, is why I sometimes really love the internet.
I always think about housewives back in "the day" and wonder what they did without new recipes at their finger tips every day.

I love trying new things, I love coconut, and who DOESN'T love anything with "butter" in the title, so I just had to whip this up.
All you need....
is....
drumroll......
COCONUT. 

That's it.

Unsweetened shredded coconut, which you can find in the bulk section of health food stores.
You can use any amount you like--for this I used 2 cups.

Dump it into your food processor
and go and go and go. 
Every few minutes you'll want to stop and scrape down the sides. 
After about 10 minutes you'll have silky smooth coconut butter!
coconutbutter
Coconut butter sets up quickly and is solid at room temperature.
It can be flaked off easily, or microwaved for just a few seconds for the perfect drizzle.

And what better to drizzle it on, than muffins.

I don't make a lot of muffins.....
you see, when I think about muffins, they remind me of cupcakes, and I would much rather make cupcakes than muffins--wouldn't you? So I usually get distracted while thinking about cupcakes and forget I ever wanted to make muffins.
That was a long explanation, but it is all very true.

But these muffins are a great little snack, and one hundred times better for you
than a cupcake at snack time.
They are lightly sweetened with maple syrup, and nice and filling with whole wheat flour and oats.
bananaoat muffins2 copy

Whole Wheat Banana and Oat Muffins
makes 12 muffins

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2c pure maple syrup
2 eggs
4 very ripe bananas
3/4c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2c whole wheat flour
1c whole oats (not instant)
1/4 c ground flax seed
1/4 almond meal (you can make your own after you make your almond milk)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

in separate bowl mix together flour, oats, flax, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder and salt, set aside.

mix coconut oil and maple syrup on high speed for a few minutes.
add eggs, one at a time until mixed in.
add vanilla, bananas, and buttermilk until well mixed.
slowly add in flour mixture, mix just until blended.
don't overmix.

spoon batter into muffin tins lined with wrappers or greased.
place on bottom rack in oven and bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
remove from pan and cool on cooling rack.
bananaoat muffins1 copy
top with your homemade coconut butter
bananaoat muffins3 copy

enjoy!

22 comments:

Kenny said...

Hey, I was literally just about to do this! I learned about making my own just a few days ago. We've been making a bunch of raw desserts and one of the recipes I wanted to try uses coconut butter. I have made my own coconut milk, though. Just blend it with water and squeeze through a cheesecloth like almond milk!

Csilla said...

This is such a genius idea! I love coconut and as you said butter is lovely in all sorts of ways so I am intrigued and can't wait to make mine! :) Also love your muffin recipe! Thank you for sharing :)

Anna Scandinavian Cottage said...

This is a must-try! Thanks!

Kaitlin said...

That is THE coolest thing!

Also, I have a similar issue with muffins. They're generally just ugly and uninspired cupcakes. But not these! I'm super excited to try out the coconut butter.

summer said...

Universe, you've done it again. -Tobias.
but seriously, sheena! how wonderful are you? i just read about coconut butter last week and haven't been able to get it out if my head!! yummmmm! perfect posting:)

and i love your drizzly dribbling stack.

Brittany said...

too funny--i actually made muffins very similar to these yesterday. i was going to make whole-grain bread, but then i realized i didn't have 6 whole cups of flour, sooo...muffins to the rescue! i'll DEFINITELY have to try this coconut butter thing though. yum! thanks for sharing!

kassidi bridge said...

Coconut butter?!! You've out done yourself. Can't wait to try this!! My mouth is watering as we speak.

gram said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kylie said...

i'm already a muffin nazi. this is just going to make things worse.

Ariana said...

I am curious, does Coconut Butter work as a substitute for Coconut Oil? or for regular Butter (if you dont mind a coconutty flavor)?

thanks!
ariana.flood@gmail.com

jenniferhoiyin said...

brilliant.

California Girl said...

Seriously..the title of this post truly drew me in..yum!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I just found your blog and I love it. I totally bookmarked this recipe..

Unknown said...

this is a major discovery. pinning it right now!

Cooking Rookie said...

Love, love, love this post! Especially the step by step coconut butter photos :-) I never heard about it, but it looks really yummy!

Dave & Erika Sterken said...

I did a search this morning for "whole wheat almond flour banana muffins" and this is exactly what I was hoping for--plus more! The muffins are cooling and I've got coconut in the processor. Thanks!

cara lou said...

I'm eating one right now. So good.

Jennifer Chong said...

you'e got a great eye for food photography love love your work!

Laura said...

Mmmmmm...made these today for the family. Kids ate four each! They are delicious and I'm so thankful they are healthier than your average muffin. =) Love your stuff.

Fern and Feather said...

you are rocking my world ;)! every single recipe looks incredible. amazing. so yummy.

Thank you!

carrolee said...

I love these muffins. I make them all the time. I love a few of your recipes. I know you don't blog much anymore but I love these recipes.

Look at these PCX Technologies Dallas said...

I make these a lot, very simple recipe and freeze well. Instead of nuts though I add cooked wheat berries and flax meal, both to boost nutrition. My kids love them!