Monday, March 12, 2012

over the weekend.....

How was your weekend? Was it as sunshiny as mine? 
Our entire Saturday was spent outside.....all if it! 
sidenote: sunshine makes your children grow. I swear mine grew just over the weekend. They sprout new freckles, their legs get longer, and this one is dropping teeth by the mouthful. So to all you mommies with new little babes, keep them locked up in the dark if you want them to stay little. 
also note: please don't tell anyone I told you to lock your babies in the dark
tooth copy
I can't get over how springy the days are feeling.
We picnicked. Swung.
Windows open, new grass sprouting, buds on trees. 
We spent most of our Saturday in the yard and garden--preparing to plant! 
We got dirty. Very.
We had our hands in the soil. 
Walked barefoot in the dirt....nothing beats mud squishing between the toes.
I took a mountain run through the stick-to-your-shoes-and-fly-up-your-back mud. 
Charly quickly went from yellow to chocolate, and was I blowing mud out of my nose.
And as long as I am publicly discussing bodily functions, my run was also nice and sweaty. 
Sweat=heat. Finally! 
It felt so good to be out with the sunshine bathing my vampire white legs.

With all the outside play I had little time to think about dinner, which is usually when I end up making "everything soup", which is basically when I dump whatever I have into a pot and call it soup. easy.

Everything Soup
sauté together 
-1 small onion, diced
-5 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 cup roasted red pepper, diced (in the summer when peppers are fresh and tasty I roast them myself (here). In the winter months I usually keep a jar of roasted red peppers handy to add to soups/salads)
-large handful of finely chopped kale
-pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
add
-cup of pumpkin or squash puree
-1/2 cup of tomato sauce
-2 cups white beans
-4 cups chicken broth
a few handfuls of your favorite fresh herbs or a small palm full of dried herbs
bring to a boil, reduce heat
add a handful of orzo and simmer until it's tender
top with shaved parmesan cheese
everythingsoup copy
What did you do this weekend? 
Are you planting?
Did you run?
What is your go-to dinner when you are short on time?

happy monday!

7 comments:

Faith said...

Sounds like a wonderful wknd and that everything soup looks delish!

Happy Monday to you!

Maria said...

mmmm, that soup looks yummy. We finally got some outdoor weather over here too!

Maria @ Orchard Bloom

Laura said...

You are amazing to pull together an everything soup so quickly. :) I'm impressed. We spent the whole afternoon outside, despite sudden sleet-storms, then sunshine...anyway, I always struggle to keep the house clean and food on the table when we're outside so much. But I love watching my kids play in the mud with friends. :)

Kaitlyn Luce said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend.

I had a busy one that DID include running. My first 5k!! It was so awesome! I want to do it again.

Courtney said...

Your burrito bowl recipe is my go to when I'm short on time. It's so easy and even better so delicious!

Brittany said...

i did run! of course, for that specific run, it was SO cold. and now it's gorgeous out. i'll make up for it by sitting in the sun reading books and eating nutella on toast. i love your everything soup idea!

RoxyRo said...

Here in Italy spring is finally coming :) there were people on the beach the other day....owesome!
My go-to dinner when short of time is a great bowl of pasta with cherry tomatos, garlic and anchovies!