Friday, January 21, 2011

dates. peanuts. cocoa. salt.

and that's it.

I first had a certain natural food bar last year, packed in a pre-race goodie bag.

It was amazing. It tasted great, and only had a couple of ingredients. It was perfect natural race fuel--and it wasn't a dreaded Power Bar....I was in love. 

But come to find out.....that little thing was expensive (considering what it was), so I forgot about it. 

And then I saw Jen's post, where she made her own!

So why couldn't I? 

I could, and I did.
bar1bar2

Peanut Butter Snack Bar
-1 cup chopped dates (it's cheaper to buy them whole, plus they tend to dry out a bit if they are pre-chopped.)
1 1/2 cup chopped peanuts. 
2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor.
When they come together into a paste, you're ready. 
Line a loaf pan with parchment, and press the mixture into the pan. 
Remove paper from pan, and slice into bars (I cut some of them in half for a perfect kids size snack). 
I wrapped them up individually in the parchment, tied them with string, and put them in the fridge.
We now have a snack for on the go, and my kids think it's some kind of new candy--they love it! 

I can't wait to play around with more flavor combinations--these come together so quickly and I love knowing exactly what's in them. I'm being a lazy runner right now but as soon as I start training for this hill.....I'm sure I'll these bars will become my new best friend.

enjoy!

happy weekend!!!

17 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

Brilliant! This gf girl is in heaven and will be lugging her booty to the gro-ce-ry store tomorrow to buy the necessary ingredients to concoct her own!

Herr Janosch said...

I definitely have to try this, looks so delicious!

sarah nicole said...

These look delicious! I've had, and loved, those bars as well (but can't remember their name for the life of me right now) so I will have to try these.

Have you checked out any raw food cookbooks? I've been really fascinated by them lately and they seem like something you might like (based on the little I can gather about you from your blog, of course : ). The recipes often use dates to sweeten things.

Happy Friday!

Sarah

stephchows said...

oh yeah I'm all over this one! love those bars!! I like to get whole dried dates from the bulk section at my store, SO MUCH CHEAPER!

Lizzie said...

thank you, thank you.

just saw this post YESTERDAY and bookmarked it at Jen's site.

but i don't love the flavor she chose...pb is my fave.

thanks

Melissa said...

I'm excited to try these! You should try these:
http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/02/home-made-lara-bars-energy-bars-part-3.html
I think you would like them! They taste just like the cherry Lara Bars. I always at least double the recipe.

SewTrashy said...

These sound so delicious, energizing and simple! I will be trying this weekend after I pick up some dates from the Farmers Market. YAY!

Becky at VintageMixer said...

I'm also a big larabar fan and loved Jen's post with the cherry version. Thanks for posting the peanut butter one too! I have been experimenting a lot in the kitchen with dates and have a few recipes I'm exited to share soon! Dates are just magical when it comes to healthy sweets.

kassidi bridge said...

Yum. Can't wait to make these.

Hope said...

We make these at home - my husband eats them as an afternoon snack at the office, instead of the alternative, cookies! To make it a little quicker, we usually buy a pressed date loaf (just dates) from a Middle Eastern convenience store near us.

My favorite that he makesnis cherry with walnuts (and a little cocoa powder!). They are delicious! Thanks for posting.

Natalie said...

I LOVE dates! I'm totally trying this. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Me said...

Mmmmm! That looks so yummy! :)


A friend of mine is trying to get her website out there:

www.caramelapplesandmore.com

They're hosting a giveaway worth $100 at:
http://iminthekitchentonight.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentines-day-giveaway.html

These treats are absolutely delish. Will you help me spread the word?

Thanks!
~Em

Me said...

The entire blog address didn't show up. All the details for the giveaway are on

www.caramelapplesandmore.com

Thanks again!

Katie Lemon said...

Thank you for posting this! I bought my first box of bars last week, ran out on Friday, found your recipe, and made these tonight! I want to try them so badly but I want to save them for the week! I really hope you create some new flavors :)

The Cilantropist said...

These look fabulous, and I will definitely be making them soon. I used to be an avid running and definitely depended on bars like these, but now I have gotten down to only running once or twice a week, boo. :P The new year (and your bars) are inspiring me! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for this! i can't wait to make these for a snack before practice :)
www.pushupswithpolish.com

La said...

Hi Sheena - I've tried these twice and they always seem to completely crumble apart. Do you think I need to leave them in the food processor longer?