Monday, July 18, 2011

black raspberry and chocolate chunk ice cream

After much debate (from four people, with four very different opinions...) we had finally settled on an ice cream flavor: raspberry ice cream with chocolate chunks....the perfect combination, and pleasing to everyone.
We headed to the farmer's market Saturday morning on the hunt for the perfect ice-cream-making-raspberries. We were just about to purchase our freshly picked little red ruby's when we looked across the way and saw these......black raspberries. We had to have them.
Look at them! Just like a raspberry, but a bit more tart.
 And I think they made the prettiest colored ice cream. Ever.
black raspberriesicecream2 copyicecream3 copy

Black Raspberry and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
a few drops of pure vanilla extract (optional)
1 cup granulated sugar
7 egg yolks
2 cups black raspberries
4oz dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
black raspberry icecream
Over medium heat, bring cream and milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk together sugar and yolks until pale and thickened. When small bubbles have started to form on the surface of the cream mixture, slowly whisk in to sugar and yolks, then return to the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat--stir continuously until mixture is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat (add vanilla if using) and allow to cool completely in the refrigerator or freezer. While mixture is cooling, place 1 1/2 cups of the berries in a saucepan and cook on low heat so they start to get nice and juicy. Smash with a fork, and allow to cool. 


Once cream mixture and berries are cool, mix together. Gently stir in remaining 1/2 c whole berries. Add to ice cream maker and follow manufactures instructions. After the ice cream has been churning for about a half hour, add chocolate chunks (you can add them earlier if you are sure your mixture is 100% cooled--you don't want them melting into your ice cream). 

icecream5 copy

enjoy!

I'd love to hear your favorite flavor of ice cream to make!


post edit:
I have received several emails asking if these are black berries--they're not! 
Black raspberries are a type of raspberry, and while similar to regular red raspberries, they are a bit more tart. 
If you can't find black raspberries, regular raspberries would be a perfect substitute for this recipe--and I'm sure blackberry ice cream would be delicious as well.

37 comments:

Anna said...

I haven't tried making raspberry chocolate chunk ice cream, but it is one of my favorite flavors. I will definitely try this soon! I love making ice cream at home. And eating ice cream wherever :)

Lisset said...

our favorite (at least until the littlest among us has a real opinion) is blueberry. we've never made it at home before, but we cone-u-copia, an organic little ice cream cart that travels around SLC, makes it and it is deeeelicious. we almost never miss a chance to share a scoop. ok. three.

connie said...

The color of the ice cream is gorgeous! I'd love to make my own ice cream, but it has yet to happen.

Unknown said...

okay this sounds like heaven. ice cream is my weakness-and i really need an icecream maker.

until then-i will tell you of my dream ice cream to make... ive always wanted to try together cinnamon, caramel and toasted almonds. doesnt that sound amazing? you can make some and send it my way!!

i tried chai homemade ice cream once (didnt know it had black tea) and it was probably the most divine thing. i love ice cream if you cannot tell.

another feather said...

Such a pretty colored ice cream, oh my, black raspberries are magical! I love to make avocado or cardamom ice cream (and all berry creams!), while my husband prefers to make more rustic mealtime ice creams like bacon or tomato.

the straz fam said...

Have you ever made "one-ingredient ice cream"? I am actually eating it right now as I read your ice cream post and I think you would love it! The only ingredient is bananas! Check out the link here: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/stepbystep-instructions-for-oneingredient-ice-cream-097170
and make it. You won't regret it...it is sooo good!

Christine said...

I may run out and buy an ice cream maker purely for this recipe.

The Cilantropist said...

The overhead shot of your ice cream really caught my eye on Pinterest - it is so beautiful! And who would have thought blackberries and chocolate would go well together... sounds lovely.

torrey said...

please throw this straight at my face.

Zizi said...

It looks so delicious! I haven't seen black rapsberry in Hungary before.

BTW, I love your blog, your photos and your style.

Emma said...

all I can say is this looks YUM YUM and YUM!!! :)

Living in Cin said...

If you ever get the chance to try it, this is a signature flavor of Graeter's Ice Cream out of Cincinnati, OH. And it is life changing. I'm glad I finally have a recipe of my own!!!

Bridget said...

holllly moly that looks amazing. sheena, what kind of ice cream maker do you use?

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...

Now that is a seriously gorgeous ice cream!!

kate said...

wow. that looks splendid!

in dreams said...

that looks delicious! i've never heard of them being called black raspberries though...here in canada they're just blackberries. (people would look at you funny if you said black raspberries, heh.) they look mouth-watering!

i actually visited the island south of where i live this past weekend, found a patch, and started eating them...when all of a sudden i started getting bitten by ants! it was awful - i was standing on a red-ant hill+almost got eaten alive myself! i'm going to remember to look down in my quest for free food next time. :)

Sashquatch said...

I am a loyal follower of your blog and am forever blown away by the beauty of your photos and lovely writing style also. Delicious looking recipe too :)

Heidi said...

That is the prettiest ice cream color ever. Oh my goodness, it's gorgeous. Love the dark chocolate chunks in this too, that sounds so yummy :)

Anonymous said...

I love black raspberries and I love this. Truly creative and I imagine amazingly tasty. Awesome.

ohmygolubka@gmail.com said...

Oh my, that looks absolutely delicious. I agree very much that that's the pretties colour ever!

Heidi said...

Found via Pinterest. Stunning photo! The vibrancy makes me feel I can lick my screen. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Those black raspberries are gorgeous! And the ice cream sounds wonderful. I really want to make some type of chai tea ice cream. Have you seen the book 'The Perfect Scoop'? Great recipes.

Amy said...

This looks so delicious. The colour is amazing! My best friend makes gorgeous mascarpone and golden syrup ice cream which is absolutely divine. I can't find black raspberries here so I might have to try this with normal red ones. I wonder what golden raspberries and white chocolate would taste like :)

Unknown said...

I'm all sorts of happy you decided to share....this, my dear, is to DIE for. Black raspberries...dark chocolate...married together with cream...ugh, you are KILLING me! Thanks for sharing. Cheers!
Miss Charlotte
www.lesbonnesideesmag.com/nouveau

Natalie said...

Beautiful! I'm so glad I found your blog! This ice cream sounds amazing and I can't wait to try it. Your photos are incredible as well. Happy Wednesday to you :)

Lula. said...

You are an evil genius. But not really evil.

Shandrew said...

My family's favorite flavor to make is peppermint, yumm! We actually made some this weekend... aaaand it's gone :D

This looks amazing and we'll have to try it.

Maria said...

I've never made ice cream, but this post certainly tempts me! I recently had an absolutely amazing chocolate and ancho chili ice cream.

Melisha said...

Love to make ice cream! Black raspberry and chocolate chunk should be considered a classic pairing! Will definitely give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.

Test said...

This looks amazing!!! YUM!!!!

Unknown said...

I always have this opinion that real fruit and chocolate is so much better than the fruit filling. I think this fits. Cannot wait to try it!

hermes bag outlet said...

louis vuitton online

Coco Cake Land said...

found you through a link labyrinth of pinterest mania, but i am loving your blog and photography/styling! so glad i found you!

^__^

Anonymous said...

At Valentine's Day Baskin Robins often has raspberry sherbert with dark chocolate mini hearts. I look forward to it.

Alana said...

I have been saving this recipe for sometime now and I finally was given an ice cream maker. This is the first recipe I decided to try and couldn't be happier. It is DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used blackberries instead of black raspberries as that is what I could find. So good!! Thank you for sharing this recipe!! Will be making it a lot this summer.

لمار للتسويق الالكتروني said...

شركة تنظيف بجازان شركة التميز كلين
شركة نقل عفش بحائل شركة التميز كلين
شركة تنظيف شقق بجازان شركة التميز كلين
شركة نقل اثاث بجازان
شركة تسليك مجاري بجازان شركة التميز كلين
شركة عزل اسطح بحائل شركة التميز كلين
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجازان شركة التميز كلين
شركة تسليك مجاري بحائل شركة التميز كلين
شركة رش مبيدات شركة التميز كلين بجازان
شركة تنظيف سجاد بحائل شركة التميز كلين
<a href="

pizza said...


Grab tasty Ibaco ice creams and ice cream cakes from a store near you.