Wednesday, July 27, 2011

whole wheat naan with chicken and veggies

I've posted this whole wheat naan recipe before--but it's one of our favorites and simple make, so I thought it would be worth the re-post.....right? It's also easy to fill with all your favorite summer vegetables for a quick lunch or dinner.

Before I made the naan, I quickly threw together some chicken breasts, chickpeas, minced garlic, lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, s&p, into the slow cooker for a few hours so I didn't have to worry about it at dinner time.
naan1 copy

Whole Wheat Naan
makes 6-8 naan
(I usually double the recipe and freeze half for dinner in a hurry--just take the dough out in the morning and let it thaw and rise)

1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (+ more for dusting)
1 tsp vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg
coconut oil, for cooking

In a large bowl, stir together the water, yeast, and sugar and let stand for 5-10minutes, or until foamy.

Stir in the oil, yogurt, and egg until mixed, and then stir in the flour, gluten, and salt. Knead until you have a soft, pliable dough. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled in size.....about an hour.

Divide the dough into 8-10 pieces and on a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece into a thin circle(ish)

Cook each naan in a nice hot skillet drizzled with oil (just a teeny tiny bit--you're not frying it like a scone) until blistered and cooked, flipping as necessary. (When the surface has big blisters and is golden on the bottom, flip it over and cook until golden on the other side.
naan2 copynaan3 copynaan4 copynaan5 copynaan6 copynaan7 copynaan8 copy
We filled ours with
 -slow cooked chicken and chickpeas
-cucumbers
-cherry tomatoes
-salad greens
-herbed goat cheese
-lemon and olive oil
1

enjoy!

17 comments:

Katie said...

Oh man, this looks absolutely fantastic!

Unknown said...

When you make the chicken in the slow cooker do you also fill it with water? I am a newbie to the slow cooker but am looking for some fast and easy summer recipes and this looks fantastic!

Brittany said...

love all these photos and I will definitely have to make this soon!!

Amanda Jane Jones said...

my goodness, your photos are so beautiful.

Anna said...

Yum. I am obsessed with naan, this recipe looks delicious!

Moments and Impressions said...

Yummy... this one slipped by me the first time - but it is bookmarked now!

The Happ Space said...

I definitely want to give this recipe a try. Homemade naan! Wow! I die.

summer said...

mmmmmmmm.
ps. that measuring cup takes me back to my mom's kitchen:)

Russell said...

Yum! I've been looking for a naan recipe lately. This one looks great. I keep running into great recipes with naan so I can't wait to try this.

Thanks for sharing. Great shots too, as always!

Janette said...

seriously one day I will be able to cook like you. I can't wait to try this, I also love love your photography.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheena. I made your Naan recipe last night, and it got a thumbs up by two very fussy food critics. I really have enjoyed following your blog and recently started one myself named after my two children Matt & Niamh. I would love to hear any tips, as there are so many food blogs worth following. Zita.

laurawilson25 said...

I'm making it now. Thanks for the recipe!

Flora said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! We made it tonight...very easy and delicious.

Molly said...

oh my goodness, these look more lovely than heaven..

Unknown said...

Great blog!
If you interested in modern agriculture and farming, then I will invite you to visit my farming blog.
How to Build a Poultry House
Methods of Modern Farming

Claire said...

Sheena, this is my new favorite thing. I made the naan with the chickpeas and chicken. To die for! I am salivating just thinking about it.

Thanks for the great idea!

Best found breakthrough testimonies said...

You are the bread master. I made this, your whole bread, and whole wheat pizza dough. Never fails. Everyone loved it! Keep it up girl!