Tuesday, June 19, 2012

strawberry jam with honey

Do you make jam? 
If not......you should start.......this week. 
It really is the EASIEST thing you can make at home, I promise. 
promise. 
Get yourself some berries, some jars, and some pectin and you are set. 

I was so excited to finally find pectin that you can use honey with instead of sugar. 
(I found Ball No-sugar needed at the grocery store.)
Before this I used cane sugar, so it was a bit less processed than regular old white sugar, 
but I loved the idea of using honey. 
.
Depending on what pectin you use, amounts may vary, but here is what I used:
for every 2 cups of fruit you'll need 1 1/2 TBS of pectin and up to 1/2cup of honey.
follow the simple instructions on your pectin and you will have jam in no time.

I have a question for YOU though. 
I love raw honey, not only for it's flavor but also for all of the nutrients it provides.....but when you make jam and it cooks--even though it's only a few minutes, all those honey nutrients are cooked out.
Have you used honey in an uncooked jam? What pectin are you using?
teach me, please.
.....
....now I just need some homemade bread. 

peach jam here




11 comments:

anonymous said...

Your photos are awesome. And that jam looks so mmm... I wish I could foodograph half as good as you. :)

liz said...

Thank you for this recipe! I made freezer jam this past year, so no cooking required... But not with honey. What if you could find a recipe that called for maple syrup or stevia instead? I might try that... Freezer jam with stevia. Yum!

Hayley said...

i love the idea of using honey!!

this year i used the instant pectin. the jam is seriously amazing and only calls for a little cane sugar. also - no cooking. so easy GM practically did it herself.

Lillian said...

I'm 97.2% sure that you'd be able to use honey with the Ball instant pectin. I think you'd probably need to cut back a bit on liquid by pouring some off of the crushed berries since it calls for granulated suger, but I bet with a few test batches you could easily make it work! (I love the smaller packets or the container that lets you scoop it out for smaller batches of different fruit.)

Courtney said...

I've been waiting for a how to make jam post! I can't wait to try this, thanks so much for sharing!

Marina said...

Jam and honey, what a lovely idea! Can't help you on pectin, I don't use it, I believe in natural taste of food... :)

Kelsey said...

these photos are so cozy! love the light, sheena!

Jam and honey said...

cool idea. healthy honey. Pectin in jam has a great effect on its thickness. There are numerous health benefits to it as well.

thehoneyshopindia said...

It’s really great information for becoming a better Blogger. Keep sharing, Thanks. For more details to visit Buy strawberry jelly honey online.

Allison said...

Laser cleaning technology is a non-contact and environment-friendly method used for the cleaning of various industrial materials.

Ash Vs Evil Dead Kelly Maxwell Purple Jacket said...

Fashion blog writing is the world’s most challenging task because it requires expertise. However, your writer is doing marvelous work. Ash Vs Evil Dead Kelly Maxwell Purple Jacket