Tuesday, September 18, 2012

cookie season

COOKIES!

I figured as long as we went and kicked off soup season yesterday, let's get started with cookie season as well.

A favorite afternoon around here is one spent with the oven on, windows open, and tiny hands sneaking a taste of cookie dough every time I turn my back.

I recently bought some dried coconut pieces to add to trail mix, and soon decided they were just begging to go in to a cookie. 
  almond joy cookie
Coconut, chocolate, and toasted almonds, all packed into a chewy cookie.....the perfect way to get this season started.
almond joy cookie
Almond Joy Cookies
1 cup of butter, room temp
1/2 c white sugar
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup dried coconut, chopped into smaller pieces (you could also use 1 cup of shredded coconut if you don't have the larger pieces)
1 cup chopped almonds, toasted 
to toast almonds: 
chop almonds and add to a pan on medium high heat for a few minutes--stirring constantly or they will burn. They will start to lightly brown and you will smell their wonderful toasty-ness (professional cooking term)

Preheat oven to 350°
Cream the butter and the sugars until well combined. 
Scrape down the side of the bowl and continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. 
Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy. 
Add the vanilla. 
Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. 
Slowly add the flour mixture, and mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. 
With a spatula fold in the chocolate, coconut, and almonds. 
Drop by spoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. 
They should be lightly golden on the outside and still just a bit soft in the middle.
enjoy!

What kind of cookies are YOU making right now?

13 comments:

Edith said...

They look absolutely delicious!!!

Elise said...

I just made flourless peanut butter cookies, on a whim decided to add maple syrup, cinnamon, mexican vanilla, and nutmeg in. It was perfect topped with course salt and brown sugar.

Laura said...

You have all the BEST recipes. And they keep coming!!! I love these ingredients. Have to try these really soon. :)

Jessica said...

Molasses cookies in celebration of fall! Your cookies look amazing though :)

Eileen said...

These cookies sound so much better than an actual Almond Joy bar--I love the flavor combination in cookie form Must try!

Lisa said...

Those look so delicious! Too bad my family are babies about eating nuts AND coconut.

Nicole said...

These look amazing! Just wanted to comment and say how much I love reading your blog and all your yummy receipes. :) I just made zucchini chocolate chip cookies, my plant is still going strong!

Hailey said...

These cookies look delectable. I am SO into cookie season, have already made my favorite Peanut butter chocolate chip, and snicker doodle. If you want recipes-their on my blog!

Anonymous said...

These look fabulous! I am contemplating making some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies this weekend. Maybe I'll sneak some almonds into them as well...

Michael Lewicki said...

These cookies look really amazing. Love the torn fabric for good measure.

Stef said...

These sound great! I just made some pumpkin cookies with pumpkin spice kisses and chocolate chips.

melissa said...

cookie season, soup season, dry skin season! at least 2/3 are fun.

Rose L. said...

I love these cookie!! Almond coconut and CHOC chips very yummy! Thank you for such a great recipe.