Monday, September 17, 2012

soup season

It's here!
Soup Season.
cooler evenings. 
darker skies.
a big pot bubbling on the stove. 
bowls of steamy goodness,
crusty bread for dipping.
soup season.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Soup is so easy right now--between our garden goods and our farmer's market finds we always have something good to throw in to the pot. 
This recipe is easy and can be adjusted to whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand. 

End of Summer Minestrone
1 small onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
4 small potatoes, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
4-5  medium sized tomatoes, diced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 summer squash, sliced
2 cups of beans (I used cannellini)
-4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
-handful of any combination of herbs-I used a large handful of chopped basil, and a large pinch of dried oregano
-splash of balsamic vinegar
-salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, sauté onion, carrot, and potato in olive oil until onions are tender. 
Add garlic and tomatoes, saute for a few more minutes, season with salt and pepper. 
Add a splash of balsamic, chicken/vegetable stock, beans and herbs. 
Bring to a low boil and then lower heat. 
You can simmer this all afternoon or just until your potatoes and carrots are tender. 
I like to add the zucchini and squash 15-20 minutes or so before we are going to eat, so they don't get mushy.

Top with a sprinkle of goat cheese, chopped basil, and enjoy!


What soup are you eating right now?



16 comments:

Unknown said...

i only do soup like this... anything you have in the house you throw in the pot. best way to eat it ever.

how did you think to add balsamic into soup? must be a trick I need to try.

Mari said...

Mmmm!

Hannah Nicole said...

sweater weather is better weather and soup and stew season is my favorite. it's oh so chilly here in minnesota, so I'll have to make this (maybe even tonight!)

Bridget said...

just had a bowl of tomato soup with my own croutons and it was deeeelish. but. yours looks better.

lana pribic said...

I love that picture!

I just made a roasted tomato soup the other day, and it was fabulous. Just what I needed as the weather starts to get crisper.

Eileen said...

Minestrone is so perfect for this time of year! Love it! I'm looking forward to making a big batch of tomato soup--maybe roasted tomato, or tomato-basil--to take advantage of the end of tomato season while I can. :)

Lisa said...

sounds delicious! I need some homemade bread to go with that, please.

Stef said...

I looove soup! I just made some chicken and tortellini soup last night with some homemade bread. Delicious!

Joelle said...

Oh I've been waiting all summer for the return of soup season!! This sounds wonderful!

The Roasted Root said...

I adore minestrone soup and am always looking for different recipes to change it up. I love that I can use a bunch of the squash from my garden in this soup! fresh and comforting!

Jenilyn said...

what kind of crusty bread do you eat? Do you make it or buy it? Bread is so yummy along with soup!

Baker by Nature said...

This soup is such a vibrant beauty - I want a bowl right now. It's currently storming outside, so soup sounds dreamy...!

Unknown said...

Ahhh I cannot wait to start making soup. I've been bookmarking recipes I want to try this season and this one will have to be added in for inpsiration! Lovely photo :)

sheena said...

@jenilyn sometimes I make it when I have time. But I LOVE bread and love trying all different kinds. Crumb Brothers is a local bakery and it is AWESOME bread:)

Monika Niechajewicz said...

I'm cooking it right now and already love the smell of vegetables and herbs - thank you for the recipe :)
In autumn I'm becoming a soup person, so recently I've been trying many recipies for warming, thick soups, mainly with pumpkin and other seasonal vegetables (e.g. parsnip and apple soup - really tasty).

Sunny said...

I also I just made a roasted tomato soup the other day, and
it was fabulous. Just what I needed as the
weather starts to get crisper.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!
:)