Monday, December 13, 2010

11 things

At the beginning of the month, I was introduced to the Reverb10 site....and fell in love! 
They give you a daily prompt to reflect on, and write about your experiences from 2010.
I haven't had time to participate daily (uh, it's only the 14th, whoops) but I wanted to chime in when I could--and maybe even go a bit in to January.
just a little something Christmasy.
...

This was the prompt from December 11, 
What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life? (Author: Sam Davidson)

11 Things I don't need in 2011

1. To always be on the go. In 2010 I did about thirty client sessions, including weddings, engagements, bridal sessions, and family photos. This is a tiny number compared to most photographers, but for me it was too much. A lot of those dates are Saturdays--a full day that could have been spent at home being lazy with my family, working on projects, at the farmers market, or out in the yard. Not to mention all the computer time I would spend after that.  I have loved being able to work with some of the people I have worked with, and help capture their special memories. But I have realized at this time in our lives, with the kids so little and growing every day, and Robby in school, I want to spend all the time together that we can--while our kids are still small, and still like us:) I have decided to put a hold on weddings and family sessions for now, so I can have some time to explore some other areas of photography, and have more time at home. Yay for home.

2. Late nights. We are terrible. No more late nights. A 10:30 bed time sounds wonderful.
Why is it so hard?!

3. Clutter. Obviously. Who needs clutter. But I always let it build up so easily....and so fast! Where does it come from?  And then I always put it off until tomorrow....and tomorrow's tomorrow. Then I was really inspired by Natalie's post, where she says why wait until the New Year to make changes? Why not start now.
So I did.
Today I cleaned off my desk. I like it! And guess what.....it didn't take long at all. It just takes a bit of motivation, and some good Pandora of course.

4. To compare. Isn't it so hard not to? And Mr. Internet over here just feeds us and feeds us with more things to compare ourselves/our kids/our husbands/our houses/our shoes to. I need to stop the comparing, and start owning what makes me, me. 

ahem, 
Hi. My name is Sheena. I have fuzzy hair, my house is a billion years old (and so are my neighbors), my kitchen is too small, I can't afford to shop at Anthropologie, I don't know how to apply eye shadow, I like to decorate my home with old junk, sometimes my kids wear pajamas all day and let's face it sometimes I do too. And that's me. And I like it....even though it may be different than you.
there is a start.

5. A tiny kitchen. See how I did that? I worked something into this list that I DO need, because I really don't need this tiny kitchen. I'm so sneaky.

6. To not hate Dolphin Pose. (haha and maybe you think the picture makes it look easy, and I am a sissy....but it is the WORST!) I loathe it. Abbey calls it out and I want to swear at her (abbey knows this)! But should I be thinking these things in yoga? no.....it's kind of opposite of the point of yoga actually. And the thing is, I've done it so many times now, it's probably not that bad anymore, but in my head, Dolphin is terrible! I need to let go of those thoughts..... like when I had myself convinced that sushi was something I'd never try.....and then I finally let myself enjoy it, and now I crave it all the time.
I need to get out of my own head sometimes.

7. To wear a bra. No really, I just don't need to. 

8. My kids' mismatched socks. I mean first of all, where do they go??? But second, why do I stress out for weeks about finding the perfect match! I will let one sock sit in a corner somewhere, just waiting to find it's lost mate. I'm done. Sorry little sock, if you sit there for a week, you are gone too.
I feel better already!

9. A baby. Do I want one? Yes. Does it seem like everyone and their mom (not my mom, haha, weird) is having one? yes. Does it hurt when I worry that I might not (but I might!) have another? Yes.
But I have got to let go of the need.
My boy and my girl are perfect and happy and good and easy, and let's admit it, they are ADORABLE!! They are all I need right now, and I will constantly remind myself that.  If someday down the road we are blessed with another, then let the baby needing begin:)

10. Winter Blues. I never think I have them, until spring is finally here and I realize, WOW, I am REEEEALLY happy! Come January, February, March I want to fill my days with nothing but sunshine, sprinkles, and sparkling rainbows. Will you help me?

11. Lyme Disease. Next spring will mark my 3rd anniversary with the nasty little bug. I think it is time for us to part ways....I'm thinking 2011 is going to be the year. Yes.


Your turn to play along! This was really fun to think about, and decide what I really DON'T need in my life. Please feel free to post 11 things here, or a link to your own blog with your 11 things.

11 Things YOU don't need in 2011.....go.


31 comments:

Shar said...

Okay. In 2011 I don't need to check out black guys. My husband is dark enough. Ha! :)

2011, that Lyme is toast!

I've said it once and I'll say it again... Anthropologie is an overpriced thrift store.

I liked your list.

Anonymous said...

Nice list! Gives me a lot to think about...I'm sorry about the lyme disease and hope that it's gone forever in 2011!

Hannah said...

Love this, Sheena! I may just play along myself.

Kasey said...

What a fun post!

I'd like to include your first four on my own list!

abi porter said...

i love you for putting number 7!

banananutmeg said...

I want to play! I can't wait to make my own list!
Can I just have 2011 things that I can live without...because that's how many there are.

I never think I have winter blues, either. This year, I bought myself tulips every 10-14 days the last month or two of winter. It helped me survive. I'm on board for finding a way to not hate winter, this year. Last night, when we got in bed, our room was so cold (we keep our door closed so the fireplace will heat the other rooms more efficiently...cuz our house is old and crusty) that Aaron was like, "let's pretend that we're camping, because then it's normal to be this freezing!"
I was not amused. I don't like seeing my breath at night. I will find 11 good things about winter. Yes. I will.

I can't stop typing. Sorry. Great post.

Ashley Madsen said...

WOW! Such a good idea. The first 4 are a must for me. ESPECIALLY the late nights. I'm horrible at that and my husband goes to bed early since he works at 6am... I need to go to sleep when he does.

Although the baby things is definitely a need on my list. Over a year of trying, it's about time I am blessed with one.

And I've never tried the dolphin pose, so yoga and exercise is on my need list (although I'm just going to say that I don't need to like that pose either).

Nellie and Jason said...

I love this. You don't mind if I steal this idea for my own blog post do you!? Because I must. It's just too good.

Harris Family said...

I have the summer blues now- Im already trying to stash cash for next summer gas money to get out of here!!

Do you know what comes along with a new baby- worry, money, less time--- you are in a good place to take care of you right now.

This is a good idea-- there are lots of things I dont need in my life! Thanks for sharing!!

Brinn said...

love this idea.
craziness how this could be my list.
down to the very last thing.
(minus lyme, add pcos and a mountain of other things.)
thanks for sharing!

Jackie Norris said...

Awesome list! It seems that too often new years resolutions (or whatever you want to call them) focus on more things we need/want/feel like we should do... but it's so important to get rid of stuff, too!

I know how hard it is to want a baby and not be able to have one. It sucks, big time.

Katie said...

i LOVE it sheena! you go girl! you are so inspiring!

gram said...

Wishing everybody a positive 2011! hugs from gram..

melissa said...

oh, i like this. and thanks for sharing yours.

ps my tiny kitchen and your tiny kitchen can get together and jump in a lake.

Clandestine Road said...

This was such an inspiring, thought provoking post. Thanks for sharing.

Scott and Lindsey said...

Love this. And weirdly enough, a lot of what I would not need is the same. Tiny kitchen. Seriously, we can't even fit a table in and eat downstairs in front of the TV. Definitely not my fave.

I'm the same on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10. All things I think about (some more than others). I would add I don't need Plantar Fascia, baby weight, or are trip to Europe. I just want a trip to Europe :) Sometimes I confuse wants and needs.

Kimberly June said...

Great post! I'm glad to hear (for you) and sad to hear (for me) that you'll be putting off your portraits for a while. Maybe by the time I'm ready for another shoot you'll be in Sacramento with time to kill. ;)

Anna said...

Love this list. And I just checked out the prompts and I can't wait to join in.

jenniferhoiyin said...

recently heard about reverb10 myself, love it! i am always trying to refocus and re-prioritize. it always feels so fulfilling.

Lula. said...

I LOVED that. You are so darling, in fact, you are the type that I compare myself to. And you are right, it needs to stop.

Kari said...

Thanks for this post. I'm gonna do my 11 things tomorrow on my blog. Such a good way to remind ourselves of our many extravagances. XOXO

Li + Belle said...

thanks for sharing. We will think about and do the lists in our blog in the next days. It's funny and a great idea!

A Beautiful Life said...

i loved this post! i'm so glad you did it! it was great for me to think about what i don't need either!

www.hillaryandfam.blogspot.com

i did 11 things post as well!

Unknown said...

oh my, this might just be my favorite post so far. first of all i follow your blog because of all of these wonderful imperfections that make you you!! seriously i love seeing people going through life and enjoying it. this is such a good idea. . . i just might have to do it on my blog. you have an adorable family, i hope you are blessed with another little one in the future, having children is such a wonderful thing.

its always good for a positive change, i will start now.

KrisiJohnson said...

1. Someone to ask me "What's next?" when I finish school in May.
2. Someone to ask are you dating anyone?
3. More Raman Noodles in my cupboard
4. Facebook
5. Texas
6. Over committing myself
I guess it is pretty obvious which stage of life I fall into.

Erin said...

you are awesome

Melissa said...

wow, such a cute blog and fun idea for a post!
I can relate to a lot of these...including dolphin pose! I'll take crow pose anyday over dolphin. ha!

Melissa (Cara's friend)

Bianca said...

I need to do this. Really. Thank you for sharing this!!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and an amazing 2011!!!

Deeba PAB said...

Oh you are sweet...and inspiring too. What a GREAT read! Happy holidays and have a GREAT 2011!!

Brittany said...

amazing. I just found your blog and I am in love. I am going to write a post on my blogsite with the same idea in mind! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Love that one about mismatch socks!!! I've starting buying several bags of 10 socks for my boy, all the same color! hahaha because who needs the stress of knowing how many socks you're missing! hahahhaha I also have a basket of "orphan" socks that I check once in a while.
But seriously, I loved your whole list.