Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bean and Bacon Soup

Soup soup soup.
It's all I think about these days.
I am not a bacon lover by any means.....but this--THIS is one of our all time favorite soups!
I can never seem to get enough. 
bean and bacon soup

Bean and Bacon Soup
recipe adapted from Real Simple

3 strips (nitrate free!) bacon*
2 large carrots, chopped 
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 15 1/2oz cans great northern beans, cannellini beans, or black eyed peas (we like to switch it up depending on what we have)
3 cups chicken broth


-In large saucepan over medium hight heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and let cool on paper towels. After it's cooled, break into small pieces.
-Strain most of the bacon drippings out of the pan, leaving just enough to saute' your veggies.*
Add the carrot and onion to the pan drippings, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Add the garlic, and cook for about 3 more minutes (making sure to stir it)
Add the beans and broth.  Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. 
You can let it simmer for about 15 minutes and you'll have great soup if you are in a hurry.....I like to simmer mine for an hour or two and really let the flavors come together. 
Uncover and, with a potato masher or large slotted spoon, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly.
Salt (with the broth and the bacon you shouldn't need much) and pepper to taste. 
Top with crumbled bacon and fresh chopped parsley.

*if you are a bacon lover: the original recipe calls for 4 strips of bacon, and you use ALL Of the pan drippings in the soup. 


serve with a simple salad and some good crusty bread. 
enjoy!

22 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks absolutely delicious! I will definitely have to try that one out, thanks for sharing.

tanalicious said...

sheena! oh my! i LOVE bacon.. seriously.

i'm definitely going to make this next week..

you are so awesome.

Tara said...

Not a bacon lover either but that looks so good! And easy!

Mommy Sauri~ said...

Sheena I just want you to know I love your blog. I am not able to check every day but when I can I do and I love being part of your days as a mommy, a wife and a woman. Just can't ever get enough!

cara lou said...

This is one of my very favorite soups! I make it as often as I can get away with all winter. Yum!

I think I will make it tonight!

shutterbean said...

OOOH I AM a bacon lover. This looks delish! Beautiful pictures, too!

I just survived soup week here!! I posted every day for a whole week about soups! My freezer is jam packed.

you might like some of these!

http://www.shutterbean.com/soup-roundup-2/

Erica Lea said...

Sounds delicious. And beautiful photo. As always. :)

Courtney said...

Looks simple enough, I will have to try it!

Love ya girl!

Hannah said...

My hands are so cold right now, I can barely type. This soup sounds too perfect! I must make it and warm myself up.

Heather said...

I love the simplicity of this soup. My husband comes home from a long business trip tomorrow, and this is what will be greeting him when he gets here. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Kari said...

Yummy, yummy...I'm adding this to next weeks food plan. Thanks for sharing. xOXO

Joe said...

Saw this post yesterday, made it last night. It rocked.

Anonymous said...

Yum, this looks like a fantastic soup with some great ingredients! Bean soups are always some of my favorites.

Amanda said...

Right when I saw it was going to be bean with bacon soup, I cringed. I thought it was going to be like the Campbell's Soup version (that I HATED when I was growing up). Now that I see it's nothing like that one...I'm going to give it a try this weekend!

summer said...

yumm!!! favorite new soup, right here.

thank you, thank you!

Kel said...

Just had to say I am loving this soup! This is my second batch; this time I am adding some chopped kale at the end!

Love it!

whitneyingram said...

This picture- this is why I am in love with you.

Jeana Bird said...

I think I just might make this tomorrow...thanks!

Janna McCalley said...

We often ate soup similar to this while living in mexico-but used lentils instead and added chopped tomatos in to simmer. It's delish!

Info site for Ipe Decking for sale said...

Yummy! We love soups and these sound so much healthier!

Get Best Info for Olympia Landscaping visit site said...

Looks wonderful! I can almost smell it cooking....will definitely try it.

BoxNGo said...

It was wonderful. My son even got seconds. He doesn’t always like soups.