Tuesday, February 8, 2011

chocolate.

Valentines Day is right around the corner......and to me, that means only one thing....
love? 
romance?
giant teddy bears holding hearts?
nah. 

chocolate. 
good. chocolaty. chocolate. 

Growing up, my favorite dessert ever, was chocolate pudding cake. We'd have it after Sunday dinner, nice and warm in little bowls my mom saved just for desserts. Chocolate pudding cake was so special, it had it's own bowl! I had a craving for some of this amazing dessert over the weekend, so we whipped it up, and enjoyed ever single bite.

It's cake.....but it's nice and "saucy".....and the bottom turns out to be a nice fudgy pudding. Top it with icecream and it's perfect.
chocolate pudding cake copy

Individual Chocolate Pudding Cakes
recipe from Martha Stewart

FOR THE BATTER
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup white chocolate pieces, cut into chunks (I used white chocolate chips)
FOR THE TOPPING
5 tablespoons granulated sugar, (for the topping)
5 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar, (for the topping)
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, (for the topping)
1 1/2 cups boiling water, (for the topping)
Vanilla ice cream, for serving


DIRECTIONS
Prepare the batter; Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
Stir together butter, sugar, and vanilla in another medium bowl. Stir in flour mixture and milk, then the chocolate.
Prepare the topping; Stir sugars in a small bowl, smoothing any lumps. Sift in cocoa powder; stir to combine.
Place 6 ramekins (each 3 1/2 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches deep) on a baking sheet. Pour in batter. Sprinkle with topping. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water into each. Bake until set, 25 to 28 minutes. Top with ice cream; serve immediately.
(but not so immediately that you blister your mouth.....it hurts)
yum. 


And while we're on the subject of chocolate......

MadeOn is giving away an Au Chocolate Gift Set to not one....but TWO lucky readers!
I love these little lotion bars! They smooth on perfectly, they're all natural, non greasy, and make your babies smell like chocolate.
chocolate babies. 
are you following?
they are made with real cocoa butter, coconut oil, and beeswax. that's it.
au chocolate copy
Head over to MadeOn, and check out all of their products 
(lotion bars, hair butter, diaper cream, bug block, yummy gift sets for your valentine...), 
because today through February 14th MadeOn is offering a 
10% discount to all my favorite people! 


Just enter "littlered" at checkout for your discount.
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment and let me know your favorite chocolaty treat.....easy!


Two winners will be chosen at random from the comments, and comments will be accepted until Friday, 2/11 at midnight.
Tell your friends about this one.....they will not want to miss out!
Tweet/facebook/or blog and come back for an extra entry for each!
(if you don't have a blog, please leave an email address so I can contact you if you win)

GO!

53 comments:

Lara said...

Hmm....I am a choco-holic so it is very hard to narrow it down to one favorite. I would have to say...hmm...Texas Sheet Cake.

A Place to Reside said...

Chocolate and peanut butter in combination really float my boat, so I pick fudge peanut butter brownies. :-)

Unknown said...

A good homemade moist chocolate cake with very peanut buttery icing is my favorite. But a nice square of dark chocolate is a perfect pick me up!

Elise said...

cinnamon brownies. so perfect.
I have been dreaming about the Au Chocolat lotion bar since the last giveaway!

Unknown said...

I can go for anything chocolate but what I seem to crave the most is a good ole' chocolate chip cookie.... i can smell them baking all the time (may have something to do with living near a chocolate factory)!! lol

swell.life said...

mmmmmm must try these! my favorite treat right now is trader joe's lava cakes. simply unwrap, pop in your oven, and savor. i know that's the most slacker thing...but they are seriously amazing, especially with warm mixed berries drizzled over the top. yum.

summer said...

"chocolate babies"... :) i loved that.

my favorite chocolate treat is chocolate zucchini bread. it's more like cake than bread, and it's intensely chocolate. but i also agree that nothing can beat a chocolate chip cookie. NOTHING!!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i'm obsessed with the truffles i've been making lately (recipe on my blog), but when i'm not up for baking and need my chocolate fix stat, i usually reach for a bag of stork's chocolate reisens.

Brittany said...

Give me a brownie, a gooey, rich brownie and I'm a happy girl. Add some ice cream on top and I'm in love!

KrisiJohnson said...

Sadly, I am not much of a chocolate "flavoring" person. However, set a rich dark chocolate bar in front of me and I cannot resist. I also LOVE chocolate dipped cliff bars. YUM.

Kate said...

chocolate mousse cups, ghirardelli brownies, and chocolate chip cookies!

dust and kam said...

i love Almond M&Ms. :)

Unknown said...

favorite chocolate treat is homemade pazookies! yumo!

Emily Winter said...

Salted dark chocolate bark with orange peel and peanuts...so addictive.

Ang said...

high quality, super dark chocolate - in bar or chip form (so its easy to munch on) :)

...I also love Trader Joe's salted chocolate covered almonds - or pretzels dipped in chocolate.

Becky at VintageMixer said...

I love anything that combines the two words chocolate and pudding! Scrumptious!!

Anonymous said...

It is a tie between See's Mayfair and Rum Nougat...ohh, how I miss See's Chocolates.

Rachael said...

Yum!! You always make me hungry when you talk about food!! Especially chocolate!!!
My favorite chocolate treat....probably chocolate brownies. Not too cakey though, and not too gooey. Just right.

Moody Family said...

You had me at Chocolate :) I think my favorite chocolatey goodness is the tuxedo cheesecake at the cheesecake factory. YUM!

Ellie said...

Have to stick with a classic... chocolate chip cookies!

vanessa porter said...

Oh my gosh...this recipe looks SO good. I have been thinking of what chocolaty thing to make soon, this might be in the running. My favorite chocolate dessert is... ANYTHING!

And I don't have babies to make smell like chocolate, maybe I will try that on our goats? It would be a vast improvement, thats for sure...

Life in Mono said...

My favorite type of chocolate is a 'Lion' bar. These candy bars are filled with oozey goodness and wafer crunch. Just can't get enough of 'em!

whitneyingram said...

Current favorite chocolate treat is the Choxie milk chocolate pretzel peanut butter bar from Target. In a moment of feeling generous, I gave one from my stash to Jack's teacher for treat day of Teacher Appreciation Week. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Christina Dent said...

ah yes...i think one of my very favorite chocolaty treats is the old chex cereal coated in the mixture of peanut butter and chocolate and tossed in powdered sugar. some call it puppy chow, some call it muddy buddies....i just call it good snack food for the soul.

SuburbRocker said...

I love truffles of any kind! Also anything chocolately that incorporates Andes mints.

The Hungry Fashionista said...

My favorite chocolate treat is simply bought at the gas station. Chocolate covered cinnamon bears. Yummmmm!

Marilisa said...

Anything covered in chocolate - strawberries, pretzels, almonds, oh my! After a 21-day fast from sweets this would be the perfect break!!

gina said...

I'm obsessed with Alomond Joy Fudge that my sister introduced me to at Christmas. It's divine.

http://healthnut-recipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/almond-joy-fudge.html

TK said...

I love gooey out-of-the-oven brownies with lots of chips!

kimmers said...

kimmers_zoo@hotmail.com

Thank you for your blog. Recently found it and enjoy reading!!!

jenniferhoiyin said...

i would rub raw cocoa butter on my belly during my first pregnancy, i'd dream about chocolate every night. well nearly.

Scott and Lori Smith said...

I'm going to go with the diaper cream, just because I think it will come in handy!

Kristen said...

Little chocolate lava cakes - yum!

(kristeneglenn at gmail dot com)

Carolyn said...

everything about this post is delicious.

gram said...

Sheena.. you have a different recipe than the one your mom grew up eating... sounds good though!

Anonymous said...

great post, great pictures! my favorite type of chocolate is anything with marshmallow in it!

pokergrl8@gmail.com

Kelly said...

It was Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake with the best mocha icing (Cool Whip, instant milk chocolate pudding and instant coffee)with a Hershey Bar shaved on top... Not one drop of whole or healthy food in it but it was the BEST!!!

Adventures in Heywood said...

Funny, cuz I blogged this exact dessert by Martha last year http://adventuresinheywood.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-says-i-love-you-more-than.html, cuz um yeah, chocolate is the best thing about valentines. For me it's either chocolate and coconut desserts (ala almond joy) or chocolate and peanut butter desserts (have a really amazing PB Cup pie recipe). I can not choose, and you cannot make me. :)

Rebecca said...

I am new to your blog, and have had fun browsing around!

My favorite chocolate treat is brownies with chocolate icing...double the chocolate, what's not to love!
Thanks, Rebecca
rebatink@gmail.com

judi said...

I love chocolate. Any and all as long as it's real. I would love chocolate lotion bars.

Katie said...

I am telling you... my eczema needs this!

Elise said...

I tweeted :) I am craving this lotion.

Anneliese said...

a good old fashioned chocolate chip cookie will usually appease my chocolate cravings! and in a pinch? just a handful of chocolate chips :)

Courtney said...

I think my new favorite chocolate treat is the chocolate pudding cakes you just posted. YUM, I want one right now..DELICIOUS!

kayla said...

chocolate pudding cake is the best. and i live in the most dry, coldest, snowiest place in the world. I deserve that chocolate lotion...

Jen said...

oooh right now, i have been eating those lindor truffles, and the utah truffles (in mint) and ohhh they are heavenly! nevermind what the do to my waistline.... ;)

The Rowley's said...

Favorite Dessert: Miracle Whip cake. I am fully aware this sounds disgusting but its delicious and I love it!

Elise said...

I facebooked this giveaway. Oh please, oh please?!

Elizabeth S said...

I love chocolate ice cream! Breyer's makes a dark chocolate velvet kind that is amazing.
-Elizabeth, smilinggoat21@yahoo.com

Marisa said...

mmm, My favorite is this Chocolate Raspberry torte I make :)

Elise said...

I blogged about this here: ourdearestfamily.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Would it be a cop-out to say plain dark chocolate? If it is, I'll have to go with it, because that's really my favorite chocolate-y treat.

Cheers,

*Heather*

Anonymous said...

Your blog is always making me hungry! My favorite chocolate treat is hmmm, do I really have to narrow it down to just one? Well then it's my Aunt Suz's chocolate cake!