Friday, February 4, 2011

food thoughts for the weekend

It's Friday! How? This week flew by....February really cuts to the chase. 

Lots and lots of good things happened this week. Like....it got up to 26°...hooray!

Are you so incredibly pumped for The Super Bowl?? (chest bump!)
Do you even know who's playing?  (no really, tell me.)
Are you counting down the very second until football season is officially over? (that one is me)
The only Super Bowl activity I participate in, is the eating of the food....and funny story, I know I've really been bashing nachos a lot lately, but nachos are actually our celebratory football watching/ignoring meal. whoops.

 But we do it a little differently than I did back in the day....like this:
-Archer Farms Organic Blue Corn w/flax chips (they sound too healthy I know....but they are the BEST chips!!)
-homemade chili cooked all day (I'll try to remember what I throw in the pot and share it here)
-pepper jack cheese
-salsa and home made guacamole
yum.

More progress was made on The Cookbook....aaahhh good times. I feel like I am keeping so many awesome secrets from you (I am), but just imagine what a fun time we are having.....here's a teeny peek.
teaser

I have become a little bit obsessed with a certain cookie from RubySnap.
Robby brought home an assorted box for my birthday and I immediately fell in love with the Penelope.
It's the thickest, softest, most delightful peanut butter cookie I have ever had, and it's dipped in chocolate.
What more could a girl ask for?
nothing.

And then I couldn't stop talking about it.....so Robby brought me home another.

And now I am convinced they are putting some small amount of addictive substance (I am not really current on my drug names, mind you) in there, because I cannot go through a day without dreaming about sitting myself down in a warm, sunlit corner, eating  my perfect cookie in peace.

I tried to recreate them, which obviously is impossible....but hopefully they will keep my thoughts (and my mouth) occupied until I can get my next fix....
chocolate peanut butter bites

This is actually a really good peanut butter cookie recipe (if you like them soft, and not crunchy like traditional PB cookies)

The recipe is from good ol' Martha. I omitted the chocolate chunks, and dipped them in chocolate instead. (I also halved this recipe so I wouldn't feel so bad if I accidentally ate most of them,  and I made them cute and bite sized.)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (natural) peanut butter
4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate for dipping.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat peanut butter, butter, and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until smooth. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, beating just until combined. 

Drop dough by spoonful, 1 inch apart, onto two large baking sheets. Bake until golden, 13 to 15 minutes, (10-12 min if making smaller cookies--I like them just a teeeeensy bit underdone) rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

Melt the chocolate slowly in a double boiler (or a glass bowl on top of a pan of hot water), and once cookies have cooled, dip half of each cookie into chocolate. 

Allow to cool completely, and do so out of reach of children, or you'll find tiny finger prints in each of your little dipped cookies.

enjoy. 

happy weekend!

11 comments:

sarah nicole said...

Mmmmmm, those look amazing! And the cookbook pics are stunning. I can't wait for the big reveal.

Unknown said...

yum!

i am one that also counts down the football season to be over. my poor husband. but since we are new in denver with ourselves to watch it with i will have to be doing the chest pump with him.

connie said...

The cookies look amazing! Can't wait to see your photos for the cookbook. So excited fot you :-)

whitneyingram said...

That's my baby!!!!! Everyone! Look at her! She is so cute!!!!!!!!!

And those cookies- WTH. Bring some next time. Don't you know that peanut butter and chocolate are a celestial marriage in my book?

Hannah said...

We haven't watched the super bowl.....ever. And I have no idea who is playing. Lame.

Anyway. Your pictures are amazing as normal. Can't wait for this cookbook to be completed and in my hands!

Hannah said...

Amazing as usual is what I meant to say. Amazing as normal? That doesn't make much sense. ;)

Rachael said...

Love the cookbook pics! Can't wait to see it all put together!
Yeah, I don't watch football either. Wish someone in my family did though, just for the possibility of food!
Those cookies...yum. I never thought of something having a little something in products, if people crave to have more of it. I just assume that it's really good and they want some more!
Maybe that's the case most times. How can you tell it's the other option?

banananutmeg said...

I'm making peanut butter cookies tonight!

swell.life said...

mmm...those cookies look extravagant! so excited for your cookbook progress.

hoping you have a wonderful foodie weekend!

Teachinfourth said...

The cookies look delish. I'd probably make some if I weren't so lazy...

Oh, and great photos, too.

Anneliese said...

whenever i read a recipe i do a mental checklist through my pantry (i don't have a pantry, but it sounds cooler than cupboard)....i have all the ingredients so i just might have to bake these for the inlaws this weekend! i think they would be a hit.