Wednesday, October 17, 2012

little things lately

breakfast
pumpkin chocolate chip
After  last weeks posts, and all my looking for real life joy each day....it's kind of hard to stop. 
Once I started noticing all the little joys around me, they seem to pop up all over the place. 
The tiniest things bring butterflies fluttering to my chest and a smile to my face. 

Little Things Lately:
-early out at school! two extra days of weekend to play with my Littles.
-an afternoon fall run. cool air. crunchy leaves evvvvverywhere.
-pushing my body. The last few months my runs have been fairly comfortable--just out for some miles and pretty scenery. But today I pushed. Lungs burning, heart bursting, legs on fire and begging to stop. So I pushed harder. Sometimes it takes a little discomfort for us to realize how awesome our bodies are, and how hard they are willing to work for us if we just push them a little.
-being back on my mat. I hadn't been to yoga in two weeks, and yesterday it felt so good to be back. Stretching and twisting my body, putting my muscles to work.
-discovering a tiny pumpkin patch, and meeting the nicest old man who sold us our pumpkins. His name was Wayne, and we were having such a great time talking about gardening and animals and Montana, that I didn't snap a single photo.....oh well. Talking to Wayne was better.
-after dinner. Listening to The Civil Wars as loud as we can, all of us helping clear and wash and put away.
-Thinking ahead. Making double or triple batches of waffles and pancakes so when we are dragging in the mornings (most days) I can have breakfast ready in no time.
-fuzzy hats, soft jackets, flannel, mittens, boots, a whistling kettle, a woodsmoke breeze, actually SEEING the leaf fall, bright yellow leaves against the darkest stormy sky, rain.
pumpkin chocolate chip
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Waffles
double or triple this recipe and freeze the waffles for a quick breakfast!
1/4 c coconut oil, melted
1 cup pumpkin puree 
2 eggs 
1 1/4 c milk 
1 tsp vanilla 
2 cups whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 c ground flax seed 
1/4 c wheat germ 
1/3 c old fashioned oats 
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 cup chocolate chips
 Mix coconut oil,  pumpkin, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients, and stir until everything is incorporated. Mix in chocolate chips-batter will be thick. Ladle into preheated and oiled waffle iron, cook until golden brown. Serve with warm maple syrup.
enjoy!

What little things make you smile lately?



tag your little moments on instagram with #reallifejoy

11 comments:

Unknown said...

i really really love real life joy. with a lot of hard things that have come lately, I needed this.

got a little crazy tagging my pictures-but made me realize my real life joys.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE how you don't live your life online, like a lot of other bloggers do. You are so inspiring! I hope you do a thankful november again this year!!

Jane said...

this is what i'm looking for! this is what my fall needs! can't wait to try.

Laura said...

I LOVE YOU. Thank you for this recipe. :)

summer said...

Look at your perfect maple syrup pitcher!! ahhh! I just made some pumpkin chocolate chip bread last week and marveled (again) at how the two are meant to be together. These waffles would blow my mind!

SEEING the leaf fall. yes. That's a thing for me, too!!

liv said...

i love your posts- you make me want to appreciate more and spend as much time outside with my two little boys as i can- thanks for the inspiration and the little bits of motivation.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

Amazing! You're totally inspiring me to invest in a waffle maker!

Camee said...

Hey girl!

Baking powder is on your ingredient list twice...should we use 1 tsp or 1/2 tsp?

Camee Faulk

sheena said...

@camee thank you for catching that!! ha! It's 1 tsp powder, 1/2 tsp baking SODA. Thank you!!

capturingtheride said...

I made these last night and they were a huge HIT! Thanks for sharing! They were so good, that it made me want to start a tradition of breakfast for dinner EVERY sunday night! :)

It Started With a Wink said...

I also have to mention that I love these waffles, thanks! And I saw your recommendation for the Civil Wars and thought, I have to check them out, than the next night watched Hunger Games and fell in love with the credits song who was surprise surprise The Civil Wars, such excellent taste you I mean we have!