Sunday, October 28, 2012

weekend senses

And just like that, our weekend is gone. But we filled it with as many wonderful things as we could.....


Halloweening: Friday was the kids' Halloween party at school (WHY was it on Friday, and not Halloween? I have no idea) When your second grader asks if YOU are going to dress up when you come in to help at the party, you'd better find something awesome to dress up like. Princess Leia took about 5 minutes. It's just a giant piece of fleece with a slit cut in the middle for my giant buns to fit through, and tied with a rope. Huge hit with all the kiddos, and the warmest coziest thing you will ever wear. I might have to sneak it into my everyday wardrobe.
leia in the school bathroom....
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Seeing: The biggest brightest fullest moon. Blinding us through closed eyes at night.
My little werewolf is pretty excited.
Drinking: Hot chocolate with cinnamon, out of a reindeer mug of course.
Listening: counting down the days (until November 1) so I can turn on the Christmas music.
Running: In two different seasons. Saturday's run was amazing--I was giddy as I drove to the trail early that morning. It was chilly, brisk......it was COLD. 38°! I used to hate running in the cold and would go weeks....months(!) without running. And then I learned how to dress right and running in cold temps feels great. I ran through fall, and then winter, and then fall again.....and then slipped and slid my way down through more winter. I loved it. The smell of the dead leaves in the frozen air was my favorite.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Yoga-ing: I am loving anything twisty lately. I think twisting is my favorite. Rotated Triagle. Yes please.
Anticipating: I'm heading to San Diego soon to meet my sissies-in-law for a little girls trip. What should we do? Where should we eat? Teach me San Diego friends.
Watching: Nightmare Before Christmas with the Littles. Edward Scissorhands when they go to bed.
Eating: Creamy Veggie Lasagna
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Creamy Veggie Lasagna 
inspired by THIS recipe from Midwest Living. I added more veggies and fresh herbs.

12 lasagna noodles* (I use whole wheat no-cook noodles. If you use the kind of noodles you need to pre-cook, cook them and then follow the rest of these instructions:)

1-15 ounce carton ricotta cheese 
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS chopped fresh thyme
2 TBS chopped fresh oregano
3 TBS chopped fresh basil
1 15oz can of artichoke hearts
2 cups roughly chopped fresh spinach
1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (4 oz.) 
1 egg
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half or light cream
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
large handful of sundried tomatoes (learn how to make your own HERE)
large handful pine nuts 

Preheat oven according to instructions on lasagna noodle package (375° for me)

In large bowl, stir in ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, 2 garlic cloves, basil, chopped spinach, artichoke hearts, the egg, and salt and pepper to taste. 

For sauce, in a small bowl combine broth and flour. In the large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes; cook and stir until garlic is tender but not brown. Stir in flour mixture and half-and-half. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add salt to taste. Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining parmesan cheese and oregano and thyme. 

To assemble, spread a small amount of sauce over the bottom of an ungreased 3-quart shallow baking dish. Layer four of the noodles in the dish. Spread with more sauce, half of the ricotta mixture. Top with four more noodles, more sauce, and then the remainder of the ricotta mixture. Top with four more noodles, remaining sauce and top with mozzarella, tomatoes, and pine nuts.  
Bake, covered for 35 to 40 minutes, and then uncovered for 10 minutes until lasagna is bubbling and edges are brown. (*check the kind of no-cook noodles you are using, cooking time may be a bit different)

Enjoy!

How was your weekend? 
Feel free to play along with "senses" in the comments



ps. stay SAFE east coast friends!!! so scary......I feel almost guilty that it's 70° here. ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm! I made a veggie lasagna last night but it was a very spontaneous decision, so all I had was spinach, cheese, eggplant, and tomatoes to fill it. I cut the eggplant into long, thin strips and used it to replace the pasta, which tasted delicious but the whole thing was a bit messy and not photogenic. I love your addition of pine nuts and and artichoke hearts. Also using the egg to solidify the ingredients is a great idea.... I'll have to try that next time!

Anonymous said...

Lasagna looks delicious, and I love your last minute Leia costume! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend.

Sarah said...

That looks so delicious. I must make it! I also must say I have been listening to a few Christmas songs this past week. I'm just so excited for November 1st for the same reason!

kassidi bridge said...

that is the most beautiful lasagna i have ever seen. yum! love the costume!

Hayley said...

three words:

Blue Water Grill

for freshest best seafood ever!