Tuesday, July 30, 2013

all about hemp seeds + chocolate protein shake

In the last year or so, I've been hearing more and more about the health benefits of hemp......so I just had to check it out. When I hear the world "hemp", I think of the dimly lit little store in the mall in 1998 that sold incense and hemp and beaded jewelry.....right?
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
But it turns out these little seeds are 
PACKED with all kinds of good stuff. 
-all 20 amino acids, including 9 ESSENTIAL amino acids that our body can't produce itself. Amino acids are the "building blocks" of protein. They are responsible for strength, repair, and rebuilding inside your body." -source
-high source (in fact, nature's highest source) of essential fatty acid
-excellent source of Omega-3s and Omega-6s, for cardiovascular health and a strong immune system
-excellent source of protein--11 grams of protein in just 3 tablespoons, and it's 100% digestible protein
-source of vitamin E, iron, magnesium, and zinc
-hemp is not genetically modified like soy can be


Ok--so hemp is amazing.....now what do we do with it? 

It has a very mild, nutty flavor so really you can add it to just about anything. If you follow me on instagram  ( _sheenarae - come find me!) you'll see that I add it to many of my breakfasts. 

-it's great in oatmeal, either hot, or soaked raw oats. (check out THESE raw oats)
-add it to your smoothies
-sprinkle it over your granola
-add it to your waffle or pancake batter
-sprinkle it over your salad

Make your own protein shake!
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Chocolate Protein Shake
1 cup vanilla almond milk
1 banana
1 heaping spoonful of natural peanut butter
2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
1-3 TBS hemp seeds
handful of ice
edited to add: I now add a spoonful of chia seeds too!

put all ingredients in a blender and BLEND until smooth

I love this drink after a run. 

Hemp seeds can be found online or at health food stores--I get mine in the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

How do YOU eat hemp seeds?


buy your hemp seeds HERE
learn about chia seeds here

18 comments:

Candice said...

That looks awesome. Where do you buy your hemp seeds?

Lindsey Jaye Parry said...

This post needs a picture of you wearing a hemp necklace circa 1995.

AfsoonDubu said...

I add hemp seeds to my smoothies all the time ▰˘◡˘▰ Great smoothie recipe!

Amanda said...

I recently bought hemp seeds in the bulk bins and I've added them to smoothies and salads, but cannot stand how crunchy they are. Are you supposed to eat the shell? It makes my food almost inedible. Am I doing something wrong?

sheena said...

@amanda look for hulled hemp seeds (without the shell). I'm not exactly sure HOW to use the seeds with the shells still on.

likeschocolate said...

If you freeze the banana, than you don't need the ice. Just a tip. I feel like the ice waters the drink down.

Candice said...

Ha! I just noticed you mentioned where you buy them in your post. Sorry I missed it, and thanks!

ninahenz said...

Nigel Slater toasts the whole hemp seeds and puts them on salads. I have only used the hulled ones (hemp hearts) so far and use them in smoothies and overnight oats. I have seen recipes for "energy bites" that use hemp which I think I will try next :)

Dominique Harvey said...

I like using the ice - it gives it a milkshake consistency!

thefieryredheadblog.com said...

As a vegetarian, I started using them for extra protein. I add them to cereal and oatmeal, salads and veggies. And they truly taste good!

thefieryredheadblog.com said...

As a vegetarian, I started using them for extra protein. I add them to cereal and oatmeal, salads and veggies. And they truly taste good!

mark smith said...

The best diet protein shakes are those that provide a comparable amount of nutrition to a typical healthy meal.

patrick walker said...

I want to increase my stamina and want a great body shape. Is this protein shake good for my health? Please share your reviews here!!
prohormone

Hippie Butter said...

Thanks for the great hemp seed smoothie recipe. Can't wait to try it.

Cameron Wieght said...

The best diet protein shakes are those that provide a comparable amount of nutrition to a typical healthy meal. Visit Website.

Mark@Marijuanaedibles said...

Hemp seeds are rich in magnesium, copper and vitamin D. Intake of hemp seeds on a regular basis helps to reduce menstrual cramps. It also helps to prevent the problem of premenstrual syndrome

Harper smith said...

Thank you for such a fantastic blog , and I have been on the lookout for such information. iron vegan protein

Anonymous said...

Good sharing, for healthy purpose, Chia seeds offer the highest volume of Omega-3, as well as addition fiber (soluble and insoluble) along with vitamins or perhaps minerals you don’t usually get whenever you take sea food oil. Chia seeds giving you long lasting energy during the day moving in deep, restful sleep during the night time. May read this article about Chia seeds at:
http://kidbuxblog.com/chia-seeds-is-the-most-extremely-versatile-superfood-and-vegetarian-supply-of-omega-3/