Tuesday, July 20, 2010

no bake (thank goodness) cookies

It's hot.
The air is stale.
and hot.
You haven't been spending much time in the kitchen.
Because it's hot.

But you still want a cookie......right??
Right.

So why not make No Bakes? Or maybe you call them Gorilla Poops? That seems to be the name that has stuck around here......please let me know if you call them something that doesn't contain the P word.

Oh--and these are made with agave nectar (this one). I've been playing around with it lately, and so far I'm really liking it!

No Bakes/Gorilla Poops/
Chocolaty Oatmeal Globs That Taste Really Good When It's Hot Out

3/4 c pure agave nectar
1/4 c baking cocoa
1/4 c milk
1/4 c butter
1/4 c chunky peanut butter
2- 2 1/2 c old fashioned rolled oats
a few drops of pure vanilla
pinch of salt


In a medium sauce pan mix agave nectar and baking cocoa. Add milk and butter. Stir over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter, vanilla, salt and oats. Drop by spoonfuls onto lined cookie sheets. We like to put ours in the freezer and eat them straight out!

enjoy!

14 comments:

Shannon said...

I haven't made any no-bakes this summer! Now I will have to. They look yummy. And, yes, I cannot make myself turn on my oven. It's already 85 in my house. I just want a salad to appear in front of me as I lay by the pool. :) If only.

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

i lovelovelove these! (and the name gorilla poops, which i have never heard before. haha!) the problem is, when i make them, i can't stop eating them!

the red bungalow said...

omg these are giving me the ultimate flashback! I used to LOVE these when I was a little girl. I'd go over to Grams house and help her make them, and of course I'd eat about a million of them in the process. :)

Great nostalgia recipe.

Bre

starving artist said...

gorilla poops.
i prefer that name.
although- i almost want a more poopy word, so that way people wouldn't want to eat them- and i could have them all to myself..

my mom and i used to call that liverwurst 'cat gut' so my dad wouldn't eat it. and it worked.. although.... i didn't know it was liver. liver worst. i think that's a gross enough name.

oops.
sorry i tainted your delicious gorilla poops with talk about liver.

Tara said...

Nice job trying them w/ the agave nectar. So far I haven't put it in anything but smoothies. I loved no bake cookies when I was little but apparently Justin didn't, he forbids me from making them. Maybe I just need to point out that we can get chocolatey goodness without heating up the house!

Jackie Norris said...

Mmm, I will be making these. Probably today.

Ryan Southwell said...

Sorry Sheena, popular consensus is that Gorilla Poops will have to stick (pun intended). These have always been my fav cookie and have been known to polish off the wax paper. Oh hey, you could always do "Monkey Drops".

Anna said...

OOOh, these look so yummy! And what a bonus that you don't have to turn the oven on. I will be making these!

kristyna said...

Hmm.... My mom used to make cookies like this with m&ms. We called them Monster Cookies... which is still sorta edgy and exciting.

However, it looks like my mother's were very different than the traditional baked monster cookies I'm finding online.

Choose your poison:P

Megan Joy said...

These look/sound wonderful. I love that you used agave nectar!

summer said...

sheena, i will never NOT be excited about your cookie posts. these look SO yummy!

and your new header is sweet. the kids in the swimming hole may be my favorite part.

ps. we are all about the agave nectar around here. i just found an incredible whole wheat bread recipe to use it in, actually. and i can hardly think of anything else.

Jenny said...

Funny, as I set here reading peoples blogs. I am enjoying these tasty treats. Very yummy!

lisa said...

We call them Dinosaur Food--instead of adding peanut butter and oats, we add smashed bugs and crushed bones... you get the idea. These are big favorites of mine!

Anonymous said...

LOL! gorilla poops...i'm going to remember that for awhile now!