Thursday, July 8, 2010

Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Why have I never made ice cream??
I couldn't believe
1)how easy it was
and
2) how insanely delicious it was.
I decided I would make it every week....and then I reminded myself that ice cream is probably the absolute worst thing for you.
cream.
sugar.
eggs.
mmmm.......isn't that the best combination?
And we licked the ice cream maker clean.
Soooo maybe just once a month.....
Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
recipe from Tartelette
8 egg yolks
2 cups + 4 TBS sugar
4 cups half and half
1 vanilla bean, split open and scraped
2 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and two cups of sugar until pale and thick. In a saucepan set over medium heat, bring the half and half and vanilla bean to a simmer, without letting it come to a full boil. Slowly pour the hot cream over the egg yolks mixture while whisking to temper the egg yolks. Pour the whole mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cream coats the back of spoon. It should register 170F on a candy thermometer. Let cool completely, strain and refrigerate until cold. While the custard cooling, prepare the strawberries. Place the diced strawberries and the remaining measurement of sugar into a small heavy saucepan over medium heat and cook just long enough for the strawberries to soften and to release some juice. Remove from the heat and let cool. Once both the fruit and the custard are cold, add them to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacture's instructions.

ic11
mmm....

enjoy!

15 comments:

Kelly said...

Yum! This looks soooooooooo good! I may just have to give it a try with my mom's ice cream machine!

banananutmeg said...

Kasey has this fancy-pants ice cream maker that doesn't require the salt and ice bidnezz. Even easier!

Fat Meg says, "looks delish".

I don't know where Skinny Meg went. Every now and then she speaks up and I shut her up with a cookie.

Shannon said...

That looks so good! My dad makes fabulous vanilla bean ice cream whenever I go home because he knows how much I love it. He's even bringing his ice cream maker to Zion so he can make it for our family trip. I can't wait. Homemade ice cream is the best!

Helene said...

I love this! I was going to tweet it and then realized the recipe source and thought "oops, that would sound so pedantic from me" LOL!! Homemade ice cream really rocks :)
I just love your overhead angles for the pictures - especially the one of your kids. Precious!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Homemade ice cream is the best, especially strawberry - no food coloring or artificial flavorings!
That looks super yummy!

Brandon Bridge said...

Yum. And what delightful pictures!

summer said...

why must you torture me so, miss sheena?
i love how there are always fun things going on at your house. love it.

ps. where did you get your cute napkins? and the tiny green bowl? darling.

Anonymous said...

this looks so lovely Sheena! We are going to pick strawberries this weekend and my mind is racing away with what to do with them! beautiful photos!

Friday Delights said...

i love homemade ice cream. This look delicious!!!

Memória said...

Wow. These are the loveliest process photos I've ever seen. The egg shot is amazing! I'm in awe haha. This ice looks yummy.

Marcina said...

Oh my. Oh my. Those pictures are amazing!!! Sheena, you are awesome. And sure looks delicious :)

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world, we would all eat homemade ice cream every day. A girl can only wish...

Lula. said...

Sometimes you kind of freak me out Sheena. I fear I might sound like a stalker or a wanna-be-Sheena (even though I would love to be you) BUT we do/think the same things at the same time. Like A LOT. Be it pizza, farmer's market, that cute house in BHG, cupcakes, fish tacos or HOMEMADE ICE CREAM... it's kind of crazy.

Bethany said...

um. must get ice cream maker right this very second! my gosh sheena, every pic you take is straight out of a magazine, srsly.

jenny said...

you are too cool. i love the clean style of your pics. very much love over here
Jenny
@
www.baileyandme2.com