Thursday, May 6, 2010

naan

What is naan? Some people call it flatbread. I call it one of the best inventions....ever.


I cannot even begin to describe how good this was.....and how easy!! It makes me nervous that I could whip it up any time....it could become hazardous.
I don't make very many 100% white flour recipes, but I needed my first attempt at naan to be in it's true form.
Next time (yes, there will be a next time) I will for sure experiment a bit with adding wheat flour. (note: whole wheat naan here!)


Naan
(I used this recipe, and followed it exactly except I used olive oil instead of canola)

1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg
melted butter or oil, for frying

In a large bowl, stir together the water, yeast and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy.

Stir in the flour, salt, oil, yogurt and egg and stir, then knead until you have a soft, pliable dough. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled in size; about an hour.

Divide the dough into 6-8 pieces and on a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece into a thin circle or oval.

Cook each naan in a nice hot skillet drizzled with oil (just a teeny tiny bit--you're not frying it like a scone) until blistered and cooked, flipping as necessary. (When the surface has big blisters and is golden on the bottom, flip it over and cook until golden on the other side.

Makes about 8 naan.

I really, truly apologize if you eat all of it by yourself. With curry. Or hummus. Or honey butter.

sorry.



22 comments:

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Yum! Naan and honey butter sound divine right now!

Hayley said...

i usually throw it on my grill.

mmm. i want some now. for breakfast. too bad i'm entirely unmotivated this morning.

banananutmeg said...

I bake mine, sprinkled with salt. YUM!!!!!

Jill K said...

I want to eat in your little red house.

Shannon said...

I have been looking for a naan recipe to make with my chicken tikka masala. Perhaps I will give this one a try. It sounds pretty easy. Thanks for sharing!!!
PS-I may have to double it. Naan is so delicious!

ashley maureen said...

one of the best inventions ever: i'm with you there. it's lately become a staple at our house, often making an appearance with dinner. i'll be looking for your whole wheat recipe!

camandholls said...

mmmm...i love naan! I've never put honey butter on them, I'll have to try that! Have you ever made them into little pizzas? So good! I also like eating them with hummus or an avacoda salad. YUM!

swell.life said...

i love making chicken curry but am always too intimidated to try the naan from scratch. not any more! i am starring this and trying it asap. hope it tastes half as good as your pics look!

Anonymous said...

i loooooooove naan! i'm so glad you posted this recipe -- it seems totally doable! definitely bookmarked.

Miss Fitz said...

I love naan! I only wish I knew how to pronounce that (lol), and I thought it would be difficult but it was super easy! I like adding garlic and oregano.

Nico said...

use clarified butter to make it more authentic...they look good

goofy feet said...

oh! i love naan!I've seen other recipes that seemed to required so much time and equiptment. This looks easy. Will definitely be trying it out with some curry!

Tessa said...

I love naan! I think you've inspired me to try making it. Definitely worth using 100% white flour.

Unknown said...

I made this recipe for naan tonight along with tikka masala and it was sooooo good. Pretty darn close to my favorite Indian restaurant's version. Thanks for sharing it!

Tiffany said...

ohhh, things that taste this good shouldn't be this easy. it can be leathal to my waist line.

Nadette said...

omg, its that easy? uh oh...so much for me being out of my "frying" phase

Rachel Ball said...

this looks amazing! I definitely want to try it.

Hannah Mayo said...

I love naan, and always wanted to try making it myself. You inspired me today- I was making dal for dinner anyway so it way perfect! It came out wonderfully, and I subbed 1/2 cup of the flour with whole wheat flour (partially because I ran out of white). Thanks so much for posting this, I will definitely be making it often now :)

alliehoopes said...

so I was entirely out of flourflour so I used mostly wheat flour and some white bread flour....still delicious. it's gone now too.

halley said...

I just made this. Loved it. WOW.

Thanks for posting!!!

Ashley said...

I just made this and will be posting soon. It was so freaking amazing and really pretty simple! The dough came out perfectly. I used 1c king arthur bread flour, 1/2c all purp, 1c whole wheat pastry. I also GRILLED the naan at 400* for about 3min per side. The texture was perrrrfect!

whitneyingram said...

I am making these tonight to go with some pumpkin shrimp curry. This naan recipe had better not suck.