A few bloopers.
Did you know, that for every decent food photo I get, there are about 5 bad ones to go with it?? Most of which involve:
My child's finger, pointing, touching, or tasting.
or, my child's face......smelling.
Just thought you should know.
Whole Wheat Strawberry and Almond Scones
recipe adapted from these strawberry scones
1/4 cup agave nectar
6 TBS milk
1 tsp pure almond extract
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 c ground flax seed (are you surprised?)
small handful toasted wheat germ
1 1/2 TBL baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
11 TBL unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
1 cup diced strawberries
1 egg, lightly beaten
extra oats for sprinklingDirections:
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees with the rack in the top 1/3. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the agave nectar, almond extract and milk in a small cup, and set aside.
- Combine the flour, oats, almonds, flax, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Using a food processor, cut the butter into the flour mixture, pulsing until it appears sandy (about 20 quick pulses). ( I just used a fork) Continue mixing until you have a good sandy texture.
- Add the agave/milk mixture. Mix until the dough comes together. Be careful to avoid overmixing. You can add a little more milk if the dough is too dry.
- Gently fold in the strawberries with your hands. The dough will be very crumbly, this is ok!
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface or a piece of parchment paper, kneed once or twice, if necessary to bring the dough together. Press in any strawberries that may have fallen out. Be gentle with the dough and avoid over working it.
- Press the dough into a 1-inch thick rectangle or circle. (I did two circles, for smaller scones) Cut into even sized pieces. Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet with at least 1/2 inch between each scone. Brush the tops with the beaten egg and sprinkle with oats.
-Bake at 350° for 20-25 min.