Thursday, March 31, 2011

banana oat bread

It's been cold and rainy and all we've wanted to do was bake. 
This banana bread is made with whole wheat flour and oats, 
and lightly sweetened with maple syrup.
banana oat bread

Banana Oat Bread

1 stick butter (1/2c), melted
1/2c pure maple syrup
2 eggs
4 very ripe bananas
1/2 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2c whole wheat flour
1c whole oats (not instant)
1/4 c ground flax seed
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

in separate bowl mix together flour, oats, flax, baking soda, and salt, set aside.

mix butter and maple syrup.
add eggs, one at a time until mixed in.
add vanilla, bananas, and buttermilk until well mixed.
slowly add in flour mixture, mix just until blended.

spoon batter into greased 9" loaf pan
place on bottom rack in oven and bake at 350° for about an hour--when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, you're done! 
*I covered mine with foil the last 15 minutes to prevent the top from getting too dark.

enjoy!

8 comments:

Paula said...

Oh, yum ...love banana bread and lovely photo/styling too(especially like the hessian cloth).

True*Lu said...

I'm gonna make this. Love your pictures!

Elise said...

This looks delicious!

Heather said...

This sounds yummy. I have everything I need so I have to make this today!

Season said...

This sounds so perfect right now! Wish I had ripe bananas on hand....

Val said...

Your blog is amazing!!

Jaime said...

How would I make this without the flax and milk?

Erin Mary said...

I made this bread this evening, and my house smells heavenly- thanks for sharing!