Thursday, March 24, 2011

for the birthday boy

I'd like to thank Ina Garten for the fabulous recipe (I say that like we're pals). 
Thank you Whitney Leigh Ingram for the fresh picked lemons. 
And thank you, sir, for having a birthday.
happ31robby copy
he looooooves lemon cake, this one.
lemon cake

Lemon Yogurt Cake
recipe by Ina Garten (the only thing I changed was I used melted butter instead of oil, and I added the candied lemons.) 

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.
I made my glaze a bit too thin, so it mostly just seeped into the cake. Delicious, yes....but no fun to look at. 

So Martha told me how to candy some lemon slices.

Ingredients
1 large lemon
1 cup sugar

Directions
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut lemon into 10-12 paper-thin slices; discard seeds and ends of rind.

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and add lemon slices; stir until softened, about 1 minute. Drain, and immediately plunge slices into ice-water bath. Drain.

Bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium skillet, swirling to dissolve sugar. When liquid is clear and bubbling, reduce heat to medium-low. Add lemon slices, arranging them in one layer with tongs. Simmer (do not let boil) until rinds are translucent, about 1 hour. 4. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Let stand until ready to serve.

Top cake with candied lemons and enjoy!

18 comments:

Bianca said...

This sounds so, so good!!

Elise said...

This looks delicious! Happy Birthday to Robby!

summer said...

oh no! now my birthday cake of choice is thrown into question... i was so sure it was going to be carrot this year. but i'm a lemon girl..

Rachael said...

Interesting cake!
Hope your husband had a great birthday!

Bridget said...

i have made that before and LOOOOVE it. yogurt in cake keeps it so freakin moist! love that ina and love that cake.

Amanda said...

My husband LOVES lemon flavors so I might make this for him this year. Except I do want to make him a Guinness cake that I saw on the webs...

Happy Birthday to your hubs!

Unknown said...

oh yummy!! Happy Birthday to your hubby =) My friend just gave me a jar of homemade lemon curd and now I'm obsessed with lemons. xoxo

Lula. said...

Ina never disappoints, I swear. That looks delicious... but I'll bet yours was even better than Ina's!

Happy Happy Birthday Rob!!

NicoleD said...

I have heard of this infamous cake and I think I have the recipe printed somewhere, but I've never made it. I love the candied lemons on top, this might be the push I needed! Gorgeous!

Laloo said...

a beautiful cake! i definitely will be making this sometime soon.

infinitezest said...

that cake sounds so good! btw you should read haruki murakami's memoir: "What I talk about when I talk about running"

Anneliese said...

oooh! i know my mom would love this! i should make it for her! memo to self...

jenniferhoiyin said...

my zupas post tomorrow is a lemon pound cake from Ina. seriously. we're creepy sometimes.

those candied lemons are beautiful!

and happy birthday to your husband :)

Lesley said...

happy birthday to him!
what a gorgeous cake. i love lemon cake too. my mama makes me a lemon cheese cake every year for my birthday!

Allison said...

What a gorgeous cake!! Love the lemon slices on top. So pretty.

Rachel said...

This is one of my most favorite lemon cakes too!

Unknown said...

Yowza! Can't wait to try this recipe...

Txstraub said...

Thank you for posting the recipe with! I love finding dairy free recipes, and even though you subbed the butter for the oil, I can leave the oil and eat my cake! :)

Looking forward to trying this one!

Happy Birthday to him!