Wednesday, June 16, 2010

artist spotlight: vibeke hoie

Today's artist spotlight comes to you all the way from Norway....NORWAY!! I was so happy when Vibeke contacted me--I am in love with her artwork! She is so talented, and her shop and blog are some of the cutest that I've seen!

You said you have been doing this for 6 years? How did you get started?
Well, I have been working as an illustrator/ graphic designer for over 10 years now, 6 of them freelance.
I finished my BA in illustration in Kent Institute of Art and Design (Kent, England) in 1999 (Woww..that sounded ages ago!)
And then I moved back to Norway, and started working in an adverticing agency called M&L in Stavanger. Working there was great - and it taught me a great deal
that you don`t learn while you studying. Like how to communicate with your clients, keeping them and yourself happy..and working under a thight deadline.
But when I had my first baby - it was time to pursue the dream of working freelance. Which was great to combine with beeing a stay at home mum. In Norway we get almost a year maturnety leave - so it gave me plenty of time to work on my own things while the little one was sleeping. Now that my second baby is almost 4 years it is time for me to get a studio of my own, so that I get to leave the house a bit more:) ( I am going crazy staying at home all the time!! ..he he ...eventhough there are wonderful podcast and webpages to keep me company e.g. www.escapefromillustrationisland.com has great podcasts with interviews of illustrators, designers etc.)
I have always loved to draw and paint, it has always been my favourite thing to do!
And I remember as a child I made stories and illustrated them. (quite funny to look back at).

During one of the first days at Kent institute, our main tutor gave us a lecture about what was expected of us..that we had to draw draw draw..where ever we went we had to bring a sketch book, and whatever we did, whatever we saw, we had to draw...and I could wait to get started. The 3 years at Kent was some of the most exciting years of my life....I learned soo much and had soo much fun!

Becoming a mum was also one of the most inspiering things that has happended to me, and the two little ones lead me into childrens book illustration.

Her children's prints are my fav..... Norwegian Alphabet anyone? (she can do english too:)



What is your favorite thing in your shop?
My favourite thing is the normally the most recent illustration, because that is freshest...and I havn`t had time to get tired of it yet...he he..

I need a baby boy....for this print

What are your other hobbies?
I dont think I have any other "hobbies"..my work include drawing, painting, sewing, gluing, photography, reading, it is diverse...so it keeps me busy and entertained.
Oh..by the way ..I sometimes knit ( I don`t know the right word for it...you know when you "knit" with one needle called Crochet..do you know what I mean??)

customizable welcome!

What do you listen to while creating?

Right now I am very into :
Angus & Julia Stone
Brandi Carlile
Catherine Feeny


Because I am a food lover....what is your favorite thing to eat?
I love anything with lots of vegetables....and anything at my favourite "local" restaurant "Ostehuset".
I love baking with my kids.....

loving all her bird prints too!

For our giveaway today, Vibeke is offering up a print of your choice (how will you choose?!!)
Please hurry over to her cute little shop and leave a comment with your favorite print.

One winner will be chosen at random and comments will be accepted until Sunday, 6/20 at midnight, and the winner will be announced Monday.
Tell your friends about this one.....they will not want to miss out!
Tweet/facebook/or blog and come back for an extra entry for each!
(if you don't have a blog, please leave an email address)

go!



37 comments:

merideth said...

shoot does #1 ever get picked.
such cute stuff.
i love birds on a line and the birthplates are so cute... plus i love the alphabet print.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i NEED "the tree" on white for haven's new room....oh. my. goodness do i need it.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

facebook status'd

Kenny said...

I absolutely love the alphabet and the birthplates. I'm also partial to the mother/daughter one. Such cute prints!

Jill said...

LOVING that alphabet print! so fun!

mommyholly said...

O.M.G. this shop is cuteness!!!!! I ADORE the "monsters on a chair" print- how funny! My son would flip over that! :)
xoxox Holly

{lizzythebotanist} said...

aaaaand...i blogged about it. freak if i don't win this i may have to break the piggy bank and start counting my change.

mommyholly said...

Twittered about it, woo!
xoxox Holly

{lizzythebotanist} said...

tweet tweet!! i signed up twitter (sigh) for AND tweeted.

abi porter said...

i love "woman 3" on black. her shop is amazing!

Janelle. said...

Love the "Garden" print...wow. seriously everything is cute.

mysteryhistorymom said...

Darling! I love everything! I think the birds on a line are my favorite though! Thanks for the wonderful giveaway!:) Lori

mysteryhistorymom said...

I posted on facebook, too!:) Lori

Rose said...

My sister and her husband BOTH speek Norwegian and they are trying to get pregnant. I know they would appreciate my favorite, the alphabet!

Paige said...

Oh my goodness, the alphabet is about the cutest thing I've ever seen!!

Deborah Athay said...

I like the "snow white and the crocodile" - the pink version.

Sarah M said...

seriously SO hard to choose, and LOVE the website for the shop. I think, though, that my favorite was The Tree with the blue backing!
Sarah M

Becca said...

the "On My Way" print is my fave! I would frame it and give it to my soon-to-be-born niece Piper.

Adria said...

I love the "birds on a line" print. So cute!

Anna said...

I love the Deer print with "Welcome To Our House" written in Norwegian. So cute!

Shannon said...

So hard to decide, but I think I like the The Alphabet print the best. Although I would probably want it in English.

Doris said...

My favorite is Birds on Line, the color you show here!

Beatrice said...

Omigosh, so cute. I almost died looking at the adorable prints. My absolute favorite is the Canary Bird print, the one in pink. Wish there was one in blue as well, it would be so cute! Ahhh.

Blog: http://lacaravaneboheme.blogspot.com

Burk Family said...

Ooh! I want the dragon one. Or the birdies. They are SOO darling!

Burk Family said...

Sheena- This has absolutely nothing to do with this giveaway this week but I just found these cookies and thought I'd share. Off to make them! I'll let you know how they turn out.
http://blog.xagave.com/no-bake-cookies-made-with-agave/

Jennifer said...

My cousin FB'd about your blog post and I have fallen in love with these adorable prints! Thanks for introducing me to such a great international artist!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

I love the Birds on a Line print, in yellow. How sweet! :)

Nellie and Jason said...

Wow...can I have the whole store!? LOVE IT! My fave is birds on a line in yellow!!

Tasha said...

I love dinosaurs 1 on brown. SO charming! Thanks for sharing!

Nellie and Jason said...

Also facebooked!! Please win, please win!!

Jeana Bird said...

I love the birds on a line (the one pictured on your blog)...so perfect!

LobotoME said...

the cute monster print has my cute monster's name ALL over it!

AllAmericanGrl said...

I love the Children's Print! ALL of em haha! :) What beautiful work you do!! :)

Lula. said...

I want ALL of them! So darling.. but I think my favorite is the Deer Print. Dang, or the dinosaurs. Some people are just so creative.

kristyna said...

I love the butterflies coming out of her mouth on the name plate for girls 2:) Whisper words?

Staci A said...

I love the Dinosaurs 1 in orange! So cute!

Tiffany said...

Oh! The blue dinosaur print would be perfect in my little man's room!