Tuesday, June 8, 2010

looks aren't everything....

...unless you like your pizza to look just a little bit like the "United States" or a "butterfly" said the boy and girl...

And boy did you answer!! I am so happy you all take pizza so seriously!!

I loved every single comment and am so excited to try all (yes, all) your recipes!!

I'll let you know as I do....

A few of you mentioned that you grill your pizza.

This sounded fantastic!!

Maybe it fell off a bit, and that's why it looks the way it does....but let me tell you....it was SO good!!

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Crust (recipe from Living)
(this is the same crust recipe I used last time, because I had made extra and had it in the freezer. While I didn't love it in the oven....on the grill it was crispy and perfect!)
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one 1/4-ounce envelope)
2 cups warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
5 to 5 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting (I like to make sure I like a recipe before I adapt it to whole wheat--so this is 100% white)
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
Extra-virgin olive oil, for bowl

Directions

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups flour and the salt, stirring until smooth. Stir in an additional 2 cups flour; continue adding flour (up to 1/2 cup), 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until dough comes away from bowl but is still sticky.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and knead with lightly floured hands. Start by slapping the dough onto the counter, pulling it toward you with one hand and pushing it away from you with the other. Fold the dough back over itself (use a bench scraper or a wide knife to help scrape dough from surface). Repeat until it's easier to handle, about 10 times. Finish kneading normally until dough is smooth, elastic, and soft, but a little tacky, about 10 minutes.
Shape dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl; turn to coat. Cover with plastic, and let rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume. Press it with your finger to see if it's done; an indent should remain.

Meanwhile, scrape dough out of the bowl onto floured surface, and cut it into 4 pieces. Shape into balls. Dust with flour, and cover with plastic. Let rest, 20 to 30 minutes, allowing dough to relax and almost double.
Holding top edge of 1 dough ball in both hands, let bottom edge touch work surface (refrigerate remaining balls as you work). Carefully move hands around edge to form a circle, as if turning a wheel. Hold dough on back of your hand, letting its weight stretch it into a 12-inch round. Transfer dough to a lightly floured pizza peel (or an inverted baking sheet). Press out edges using your fingers. Jerk peel; if dough sticks, lift, and dust more flour underneath.

Place dough onto preheated (medium-high) and greased grill. (this is where it gets tricky and it kind of fell off.....send any grilling tips this way!) Cook until bottom side of crust is done. Remove crust from grill and place toppings on cooked side.

Toppings.

Thin layer of your favorite BBQ sauce.
grilled chicken
fresh tomatoes
red onion
sliced avocado
cilantro
smoked gouda cheese (I loooove gouda....but it's not the best melty cheese. I think next time I will use smoked mozzarella)

Place pizza back on grill and cook until bottom is done (we like it a bit blackened) and cheese is melty.

Enjoy!!

11 comments:

Courtney said...

Nice pizza!

Sheena, what is the link to your private blog, I must've entered it in wrong on mine b/c I can't get to it!
Email me or leave it in a comment on my blog. Thanks! I miss reading it!

Marcina said...

MMM! That looks SO SO good:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks completely scrumptious. I requested grilled pizza one year for my birthday and it was heavenly.

Amie said...

OH. My that looks so amazing. I think the sliced avocado might be the best thing on earth about this baby. I've never even thought to put avocado on pizza but now that I see it sitting there so beautifully I'm wondering why I never have done this before...delicious!

The Fredy Family said...

Yay! Glad you tried it! It's the only way we do pizza! So good and the oven doesn't heat up the house!

Jill said...

looks........delicious! can't wait to try it for myself :)

Sprouted Kitchen said...

yumness! looks great. i love the funny shapes, makes it feel more 'personal'. Love the avocado idea too!

Erica Lea said...

Oh my! Oh my! This looks delicious. I LOVE grilled pizza. In fact, we made some only yesterday. BBQ chicken was one kind we made. I really like your version with the avocado. Yum.

Chocolate Shavings said...

That BBQ Pizza looks delicious!

summer said...

this butterfly pizza is so cool. your stuff is always cool, sheena. so laid-back and real. you've taught me that imperfect is so much prettier that perfect.

oh, and you win prettiest pizza toppings. hands-down. thanks for sharing your successful recipe!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Okay, this looks SO good! YUM!!!

xxMK
http://delightfulbitefuls.blogspot.com/