Tuesday, June 1, 2010

part one: in the garden

home sweet home.
Last week, Robby and I were able to spend some time with his grandparents who live in the Bay Area. They have lived in their (adorable!) home for 50+ years, and sadly are getting ready to say goodbye and move closer to family.
I am in LOVE with their little home--I love to sit and imagine all that has gone on over the decades....and I couldn't stop taking photos!! I wanted to share a few....and when I say a few, I mean a ton. And I even tried to narrow it down. I'm breaking it in to three different posts.....and first I'd like to start out with the yard and garden. Oh I LOVE it!!
Grandpa Kennan works so hard at it--it's his pride and joy and he is so very talented at what he does! He pours so much of himself into it--there is so much character every where you look.
The rocks were hand picked years and years ago by grandpa (and Robby remembers helping with some:), to make a custom path around the yard.

the end.
up next: the workshop!

13 comments:

Kimberly June said...

Lovely pictures and ADORABLE couple.

Shannon said...

What a cute cute house! Robby's grandparents are so sweet looking too. These are such gorgeous photos and they will be so nice to have when they no longer live in that house.

This post reminds me so much of my grandpa. His yard was his pride and joy too. I wish I had the skill to have captured his handiwork in the garden before he passed away. I did take pictures, but not like these. :)

Jessica F said...

aww so cute! I love their little home and all those detail shots :)

Jill K said...

That house is gorgeous. I love me some houses with some history.

It must be so hard for them to leave after all these years! They are a cute little couple.

melissa said...

oh it's sad when california grandparents move. mine did. my husband's did. of course it's great if they're coming closer, but if they're just as far away except NOT in an awesome house in california? that's just sad. i hope they're at least moving closer to you.

ali said...

what a GIFT for the whole family! so touching!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

such a cute couple and house/garden. they're going to love having the place so well-documented! you should make a little album for them to keep when they aren't "home" anymore.

Tara said...

It's like I'm reading my favorite magazine! (you know the one)
Homes like that make me want to live in CA so bad. I'm sad for Rob and all of you guys that you won't be visiting there anymore. But at least there are some beautiful pictures to have forever!

nicole said...

First of all what a great tribute to a life in a home. What great photos! Love the house...I live in the bay area...which area are they in? Can't wait to see all the photos.

sheena said...

Nicole--they live in Fremont! The house is for sale....tell your friends:)

summer said...

what a darling house and couple. (the house color is too perfect.) and the details are incredible! i LOVE the string of flowery yellow lights.

Julia said...

Wowza! I hope I have this lovely of a home one day!

Leasha said...

i wish i would have done this before my grandmother moved from her house. my grandfather built the house when they were about to have their third child and had three more in the years after they moved in. our family belonged to this house from 1954 to 2008. my grandfather died in 1988 and for 15 years, my grandmother handled everything all right, but eventually she could no longed keep the house up. anyways... your post has inspired me to photograph the memorable spaces that i won't have around forever. memories are good and all, but i can hold a picture in my hand. have a great day :)