Sunday, February 21, 2010

city mouse......country mouse....

.....which one am I??

I get so confused. Like my brain has been shook up and twisted around--the part that tells me which direction to go is no longer functioning.

It happens every time I go home, and just this last week when I ran away to sister's.

Until I was 11, I grew up in a neighborhood. In a little town, with little houses side by side, kids up and down the street to ride bikes and play with until the sun went down.

Then we moved. Out into the middle of a feild, more or less.

Our "backyard" slowly rolled into the rocky moutains. I learned to drive (a little white stick shift pickup!) on a two lane road--most my friends lived off of dirt roads. I knew how to saddle up a horse and go for a ride, and I once killed a rattle snake (the thought of it now makes me squirm).

I went to a high school tinier than you can even imagine, and I couldn't WAIT to get out.

Flash foward to now.

I can be to Target in 12 minutes. I am surrounded by good restaraunts. I can go to the gym whenever I want. The zoo. The museum. The library. All within a short drive. Life has never been so convienient.

We are happy. People everywhere, and we are content.


And then I drive down a dirt road.....


....and that's when I start to wonder.What if.....

......I'm still thinking....more to come...

19 comments:

Jill K said...

Sometimes I dream about living on a farm out in the middle of nowhere. Where going to "town" is such a big deal...

And then I remember how much I love Target.

These pictures are gorgeous! Forget Target!!

Kasey said...

Definitely pros and cons to both.

Gorgeous pictures!

judi said...

HA! This is life....When you were little we dreamed of having wide open spaces and room to breathe and I wouldn't have had it any other way...Now, sometimes, I dream of being 5 minutes from anywhere...well anywhere other than the post office. Beautiful pictures. Now I want to move to sister's...

Amie said...

Oh I know this feeling - I would love to live out in the country but just don't have the guts. Like you, I need my Target and my malls.

It's a great thought though, maybe someday....

I love your blog and hearing about all of your adventures :)

-Amie from http://www.abbeycatchat.com

Hannah said...

i grew up in the "city" but am a small-town girl at heart. your pictures make me swoon. you are so talented.

banananutmeg said...

these are so pretty they almost make me like snow. Compliment of the year.
Beautiful.

rungirlrun32 said...

Girl, we are so similar. I love going home to the wide open spaces, but I love coming back to my home now. We were shaped into strong women living in those parts of the world. It prepared us for anything, right?!

carol said...

love all the pictures! my favorite is the third one! gorgeous places :)

teresa-bug said...

I have never really lived i the country, but I often dream of living on a small farm. It sounds so peaceful to me.

Derek Riley said...

I've only really lived in the country..but know what you mean. I love these photos. You are such a great photographer. And the photo of you sledding with your kids - so awesome!

Derek

Jackie Norris said...

I go through that struggle myself. The conclusion I've come to is that I could probably be happy anywhere.

Beautiful pictures!

Life in Eden said...

These shots are amazing! I especially like the first few. Gorgeous.

I grew up in suburbia, and now live in a smaller town, but with lots of stuff (including Target). I've dreamed of a small farm too, but find with little ones life is good in a small town. Especially when they go to the neighbor's to play!

gram said...

.. short note to 'mom'.. you already live too far away!... Sheena, very nice pics!

Anonymous said...

I understand completely! I'm so glad that my (future) children will have a neighborhood of friends and that everything is so convenient here, but nothing can compare to wandering fields and pastures and one lane roads for hours alone.

kayla said...

i know an AWESOME deal on an ADORABLE little house.....

and a safe school........

Laurie Lynn said...

You've got some beautiful winter photos! I grew up in a small town as well, and now live with all the stores convieniently close by...but it's hard not to miss home where everyone knows you...Anyway, just wanted to say beautiful photos :)

Grace said...

When I saw the photo of the white horse against the snowy backdrop, I literally gasped aloud.
What beautiful photos!

<3 Grace.

AllAmericanGrl said...

living in the country is nice, especially if you grew up there and you know the "ropes" sort of speak. I grew up in the city (lakewood ca) and then moved to Switzerland (country) and it is beautiful and save here. Of course we don't have a target or shopping malls here, so that is something that you just learn to live without (until I fly back home to CA once a year and go crazy shopping). I say move to the country, where your family is at and where it is safe! :-) Then your family will appreciate going to Target and out to eat etc. a little more ;)

p.s. Beautiful photos btw.

kylie said...

i'm just a lil obsessed with your landscape photos.