Thursday, February 25, 2010

outside in

It's cold. and its windy. and its trying to snow.

It just makes me mad.

So today, we brought a little outdoors, indoors.
I have been wanting to make some little terrariums for a while now, and just never got around to it. Today's forecast of snow was just what I needed.

What you will need:

containers: they sell beautiful containers specifically for terrariums, but I am a lover of glassware so I rounded up some jars and bottles from around the house. Only two of them are true terrariums (with closed tops...but...oh well.)
plants: HERE is a whole list of terrarium appropriate plants....none of which could be found at Home Depot in February, so...I winged it. I found some "succulents" , like aloe vera--you'll find them with the cacti. I'm not a fan of the word cacti.
moss. (optional)I could do 100% moss terrariums....I LOVE the look of moss! But, again, it's february, so I found what I could (thank you go the guy at the nursery who let me go pick it out of their potted trees:). And this spring I fully intend to find GOBS of moss and redo these silly little things.
rocks: for the bottom of the container to help with drainage.
active carbon: to help keep the air clean (in the containers with lids.) You can find it with aquarium supplies.
dirt. self explanatory.
The boy was so so SO eager (that's very eager) to help....we love to play in the dirt!
tada! (I cannot WAIT to paint my shelf white.....these will stand out much more.)

I found this site to be helpful for terrarium care.
I kill every single plant....I am really very bad at the whole plant thing. But these seem like they'll be fairly easy to maintain, just a mist here and there.....way easier than children! wish me luck!

12 comments:

Hayley said...

Thank you for just adding another project to my list. :)

Teresa said...

Well hello there!
I think I just found a new favorite blog!
I popped over from another favorite blog that I just found...Whimsy!!!
Oh how I do adore these terrariums!!! What a fab idea!!!
My name is Teresa!
Nice to meet you!
I live on Bainbridge Island...with my dog Doogan and hubby Greg!
Maybe you can pop over sometime!
xxooxx!!

Shannon said...

Those look fabulous! Maybe that is what I will do on the shelf in the den. It has been majorly lacking in decor. And plants are always nice. Your shelves, of course, look amazing!

Unknown said...

this may be my favorite post of yours. I've been dying to do terrariums for a while now too and you make it look so doable.. and pretty.

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

these are so cute, i've been wanting to make one for ages, i actually have a page with instructions from martha stewart living stuck to my fridge. i think you've finally convinced me to get to it! :)

abigail said...

gorgeous! I've been meaning to plant some terrariums for awhile, these are so inspiring!

Morgan said...

The finished product is SO PRETTY! And I am just head over heels in love with that bookshelf of yours. All of the old cameras are absolutely fantastic! I think I want that Women Photographers book. I remember flipping through it once in a bookstore and loving it. You just reminded me that I still want it.

summer said...

i would never think to do something super cool like this. what a great idea! (i love how you include your kids on everything, such a fun mom you are.) and that shelf is charming- can't wait to see it all dressed in white!

gram said...

Great.g.ma Davey used to have an Aloe plant in her kitchen... it was a huge plant..useful for burns....

Amie said...

Good luck!

I kill everything on earth...even cacti!

I bought a terrarium from etsy and so far it's doing ok...I have had it for about 6 months or so. We had a small infiltration of mold but I just removed it and they seem to be doing just fine.

I hate having a black thumb!

sylvia said...

this is a lovely lovely idea. actually, it's the second time in 2 days i've stumbled upon terrariums (the second time was in small magazine, do you know it?) so i take it as a sign, i should get some outdoors inside as well!
love your blog!
sylvia

Ta said...

What a delightful project! I will definitely try this! I especially enjoy them in the terrariums. I've been looking to do a Terrarium for mini orchids.