Monday, February 22, 2010

a little something...

recipe from Food Network's Ellie Krieger
It happens at about 4:00.....

I'm starting to think what/why/when/how to make dinner.

And I'm hungry.
And the kids are LOUD.
The house has been destroyed, cleaned up, and re-destroyed.

I need SOMETHING. And if I don't have something on hand, I usually go through about half a bag of chocolate chips.....

And then I found this little recipe and I am in LOVE. They are so so so easy, and just what you need when 4:00 hits.

1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped (toast in a pan on medium heat for 10-15 minutes)
1/2 cup dried cherries (I used dried cranberries, because that's what I had on hand)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate (the darker the better I say!)
Melt your chocolate (you can get all fancy in a double boiler, but I melted it SLOWLY in the microwave--don't cook your chocolate, just melt it)
I also added a heaping tablespoon of ground flax seed, because I like to trick my family like that.
Mix in your chopped almonds and cherries. Drop by small spoonful onto parchment, ( I love a sprinkle of sea salt!) and let set up in the fridge.


Try to only eat them one at a time......they are so so so good (and not too bad for you either!)

8 comments:

banananutmeg said...

one at a time...
rookie mistake ;)

Cora said...

Oh yes! The darker the better and the sea salt...swoon...makes it even better!!

gram said...

.. so basically your're eating a half bag of choc chip... with some almonds thrown in... sounds good to me!

A Beautiful Life said...

Hooray I mAde these tonight super easy and yummy! I always have the orange flavored dried cranberries so that added a nice tang great go to snack..and btw I make ur red wine vinigrate every week now so I'm more apt to throw together that easy salad and store bought rotisserie from the deli makes it easy to add some protein thx for great recipes! Oh yeah I made those snickerdoodles you had awhile back and made them with whole wheat flour and they were still super soft and delish!

Rachel said...

I hear ya...that sounds so good! I'll have to give it a try!

Natalie said...

Gram rocks. The end.

And I'm right there with you on the 4pm hungries....esp because we aren't eating until 7pm most nights. (when hubby gets home)

cara lou said...

Sounds amazing. I've been loving a similar treat from TJs. Dark chocolate and nuts/seeds with a tiny sprinkle of salt.

Jill said...

seriously?

i cannot leave these alone.

and the sprinkle of sea salt, genius!

thanks for sharing :)