Thursday, November 4, 2010

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles

I was throwing together a quick dinner of whole wheat waffles, and when I opened the fridge I saw my leftover pumpkin puree from these cupcakes.  Inspiration struck, and that is how these babies were born. (that is not how all babies are born, mind you)
Since it's usually the sweetness that really brings out pumpkin flavor in baked goods.....the pumpkin taste in these are very light, but they make a super hearty, healthy breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

whole wheat pumpkin waffles

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
with maple and orange yogurt


1/4 c butter, melted 
1 cup fresh pumpkin puree (see roasting instructions in this recipe)
2 eggs
1 1/4 c milk
1 tsp Mexican vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 c ground flax seed
1/4 c wheat germ
1/3 c old fashioned oats
3 TBS agave
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix butter, pumpkin, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients, and stir until everything is incorporated. Batter will be thick.

Ladle into preheated (and sprayed!) waffle iron, cook until golden brown.
Serve with your favorite toppings or pure maple syrup. 

We topped them with maple and orange yogurt.

Maple and Orange Yogurt
1/8 cup pure maple syrup
1TBS orange zest
stir together.

enjoy!

13 comments:

ashley sullivan said...

this recipe looks fantastic! i've enjoyed the trader joe's mix so far this season-- but it is quite pumpkiny. the light pumpkin flavor and wholesome quality of these sounds wonderful!

summer said...

i just love your food, sheena.

ps. do you like your waffle iron? what kind do you guys have?

Clandestine Road said...

Delicious. I love your photos.

Erin {pughs' news} said...

These will be a HUGE hit with my boys! Thank you!

Emily Voigtlander said...

Yum! Those look incredible! Maybe this weekend ...

Anonymous said...

Dear lord - I love your photos! Pumpkin waffles are soooooo good!

LimeCake said...

oh wow now i'm really wishing I had a waffle iron! darn these look delicious! love it with the yogurt!

Anna said...

jigga-what?! Pumpkin waffles?! You are brilliant! Can't wait to try this one!

Sandy Smith said...

Yuuuum! These look so good. Can't wait to try 'em!

Teresa said...

Yum. Thanks for the recipe. I just shared with my readers:
http://itisagoodday.blogspot.com/2010/11/good-finds-cool-weather-recipes.html

Teresa

Candace Karu said...

Love this recipe full of the flavors of the season. I'm going to share it with our Greek Yogurt lovers!

savvygreenmom said...

Oh these look yum!! We love making warm pancakes and our son is always asking me to make his favorite when I use Kamut Wheat flour :) He loves them and so do I since they are loaded with nutrition! Thanks for sharing this one - I have a feeling they all might love these too!

annie said...

Thank you so much for the yummy recipe! I didn't have any pumpkin, but I had sweet potatoes which I used instead. So, wholesome and delicious!