Monday, April 5, 2010

five


It's all you've talked about for the last few days.

"I'm going to be FIVE!!"
"I'll be big when I am 5!!!"
"Tomorrow I'll be 5!"
"I'M FIVE!!!!"
"I am SO big, because I am five"
"Hey mommy guess what.......I am FIVE!"
"Yesterday I turned 5, and today, I'm STILL 5!"

So..... you get it, but I still don't.

Five?! How?

As I checked on you last night, kissed your little cheek as you snored, I remembered our first night together.

I didn't want them to take you out of our room--they said I wouldn't get much sleep, but I was ok with that. I wanted you right next to me, so I could look at you whenever I wanted to. And I did....all night. I watched the air move in and out of your teeny little chest. Watched your every wiggle. I couldn't believe that you were finally here, and that you were all mine. I couldn't stop watching.

And as I sat last night on your bed, I can't help but feel as though I blinked--and here we are five years later. Five years...it all goes by so quickly.

You are growing....and there is nothing I can do about it (no really, I've looked into it:)

But even after five years, you continue to amaze me! I learn something new every day. I watch you play. I watch you learn. I watch you laugh so hard--you are so silly!

And I still can't believe that you are mine. All mine.

I will still check on you every night, and every now and then I know I'll have little glimpses of that first night you were here with us. Because no matter how big you get--no matter if you are "so big and giant because [you] are five", YOU, are still my baby.

forever.

happy birthday.



12 comments:

mommyholly said...

Ohhhhh I feel the same way. :( My son will be six in May... SIX!!! Omg, where did all of this time go?!! Happy birthday to your little man!
xoxox Holly

A Beautiful Life said...

My daughter just turned 5y on March 26th, it is such a great age, she kept saying the same stuff on her bday, "look my legs are bigger, look how much bigger I am now that I'm 5!, watch this trick, I couldn't do it when I was 4!..LOL..so cute..I can't believe how time flies and it seems with each child your world is busier and so the time flies even faster..he is so cute and precious, glad he got to have a good birthday!

Jennifer said...

They do get so big so fast don't they? Happy Birthday to your not quite so little one.
theprairiegirl.com

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday to the boy!!! 5 is getting up there. I am constantly amazed at how quickly the time passes.

Natalie said...

I love 5! He is so adorable. Soak it all up! You'll be glad you have so many fabulous pics to look back on. My oldest turned 9 this year....eeeeeeeeee! I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at this point.

Amanda said...

What a beautiful post.
Happy Birthday to your little cherub.

Jessica F said...

Cute!!! Happy birthday to him! Love your lil fam!

summer said...

what a great post! such an adorable little guy, such a sweet mom. happy birthday!

ps. hey sheena, thanks for inspiring me to take advantage of that skirt tutorial! (i'm so glad YOU found it, so that I could find it!) and it really helped me to see how you did it and how cute yours turned out. i had so much fun with it this weekend. so thanks!

cara lou said...

This post made me cry! Mine is almost 2.5 and it kills me. I don't know what to do!

Happy bday to that adorable 5 year old!

Chanté said...

This made me get all choked up; my little boy will be here in the next two weeks, and I'm so excited to stare at his tiny, precious self but then I see everyone else's kids that I remember as tiny babies, and they're little kids now and it amazes me and makes me wonder where time went as well.... it makes me sad because before too long I'll be wondering how my little man got so big so fast.

Ashley Arnold said...

Darling post. I'm not a mom yet, but I love reading posts like this - very cleverly written! Thanks!

Carol said...

Oh good post. Time does fly. My baby is 22 and is living in Russia. WHAT?!? How did that happen!!! Enjoy them both - before you know it you will turn around and they will have little ones of their own.