Thursday, April 1, 2010

pompom garland

3 posts today. what has gotten in to me??

I forgot that I hadn't blogged this yet...and thought that I'd better in case you needed to whip up something quick so your house looks semi-festive and springy for the weekend.
You can find the original Martha Stewart pom-pom tutorial HERE.

Here is my take on it...

What you need:
-tissue paper
-floral wire
-string (for your garland)
fishing line (to attach pompoms)

1. stack 8 -4x5" sheets of tissue paper
2. make an accordion style fold, like you are making a fan.
3. when you finish with the folds, secure middle of "fan" with a small piece of floral wire
4. trim ends (round or pointy)
5. tie a piece of fishing line to the wire, so you can later attach the pompom to your garland.
6. Unfold fan (not pictured...I only have so many hands) and peel out each layer one at a time, until your pompom is done!
(see here if you need to)
7. attach to string.

8. admire from afar.
9. hope kids don't pull it down trying to "smell" it.

the end.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

so pretty! a beautiful twist on the regular pompoms. your home is so beautiful!

Nicole said...

you made it look so simple.

banananutmeg said...

mini puffs! So cute! I made the giant one's for the girls bday last year, but these are totally cute.

Festive for Easter! I wish I was that on top of things. hahaha

I like your milk glass pieces.

Jacob said...

ummm fabulous!!! i love it! well done. i want to do it now! thanks for the inspiration...you are wonderful!
loves!
britt

Hayley said...

i love them.

kaysi van dyke fox said...

love that, i am so using that at a dessert table at a bridal shower i am throwing. thanks girl! :)

cara lou said...

So so pretty! I love it!

P.S. I want those white logs.

Fairlightday said...

I think these may be even more wonderful than the giant ones! Mini is so much cuter! :) Maybe I'll find some time tonight to squeeze in pom-pom making.

summer said...

this looks fabulous! what a darling idea. thank you so so much! your photos make me want to do everything you do. they're truly lovely.

ps. i love the things on your mantle. and the birch logs!

Anonymous said...

To think not only are such a cute decoration, but I have all the stuff to make them! So glad you shared how to.

Barb said...

i love this! it would be fun and easy for birthdays too.

chasity said...

i have a fireplace almost identical to yours....how fun to find.

Lauren said...

AH-mazing. Your fireplace is gorgeous. Everything about it.

"Hope the kids don't try to 'smell' it..."

Love.

Amie said...

You have inspired me...I think I am going to make some of these and hang them just for the fun of it...they sure do brighten up a space!

Amie said...

I did it! I finally finished my poofs-on-a-string, inspired by the little red house!

http://www.abbeycatchat.com/2010/04/tv-challenge.html

Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

i prefer your tutorial over MS. these photos are exquisite. :)