Monday, January 6, 2014

12 Days of Juicing

12 Days of Juicing // www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Juice Juice Juice! 
It's everywhere right now, isn't it.
I've been juicing for a year now, and we have loved coming up with new concoctions by experimenting with different fruits and vegetables. 
I don't follow alot of "recipes" any more--I usually just look in my fridge and see what I can throw in. Some turn out awesome, some just ok, and some turn out muddy brown but taste so good.

I often get questions like this:
"How do you know what amounts of fruits/veggies to use?"
My answer:
It all depends on what YOU like. Play around with different amounts--always start with less, and you can build up from there. 

Beets, Kale, and Grapefruit can be strong and overpowering (I like strong and overpowering, but if you don't, start small)
Carrots, pears, and apples add sweetness. 
Cucumbers have high water content so they will mellow out your juice.
Ginger adds a nice zing but it only takes a little piece. 
I always take the pulp from my greens and saute them in some olive oil and garlic--so tasty. 
Carrot pulp is great to throw into soup. 
I've also just recently started stirring extras into my juice after I make it--like almond milk or chia seeds.

The best way to figure out what you like is to juice everything in sight.....really. 
Here are 12 different recipes to get you going--add in a little of this and a little of that and come back and share your favorites!

www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com 
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
click on juice name to visit full post

What's your favorite juice to make?


What juicer do I use? The Breville Compact Juice Fountain

check out THIS post on Roasted Root for 50 (FIFTY!) Juice + Smoothie recipes 
Lots of ideas HERE on how to use your leftover pulp

13 comments:

Sarah Toasty said...

I don't have space for a juice, let alone a blender so I make shakes in the morning with my immersion blender in medieval times plastic glasses… yup, grown up

I will definitely be adding some ginger to my juice tomorrow morning, I always seem to forget I have it in there. Thanks for the healthy inspiration!

Amanda said...

we got a juicer a couple months ago, and have been a little nervous to do a whole lot of experimenting - we have mostly been sticking to the same general recipe, but these recipes will be great fun to try!

Sini | my blue and white kitchen said...

I really need to get a juicer... Right now I would make the morning glory juice. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Feeling the need to boost my immunity, I've been juicing 1 beet, carrot, celery, apple, lime, a wedge of lemon, ginger and a clove of garlic. Potent, but surprisingly delicious and refreshing!
Trying some more of yours this week will be great!
Melissa

Anne-Marie H. said...

Hi there,

Love your blog! I was just wondering if you could tell us what make and model of juicer you have? I'm contemplating purchasing one and am trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks!

Anne-Marie H.

Sabrina said...

I don't think you search tool is working. Off to find your naan recipe by scrolling through everything.

The Webbs said...

im right there with ya!! i feel like we started were so into finding the perfect "juicing recipes" (which actually call for way more sweet fruits than i even needed). I also love to add celery to mine because it is inexpensive, i love the stronger flavors like grapefruit too :) my juices always include ginger, its not the same without :) i feel like juicing has been such a good balance to my diet, we have been adding so many new veggies to our everyday living and im loving it. :)

and there is nothing better than living in a city that is known for its citrus, with so many fresh fruits to juice for free, right out of my yard :)

Neil Martin said...

Great post and tasty looking recipes. I love finding blog posts about juicing as juicing has changed my life. I've gone from obese couch potato to being more than 70 pound lighter and running marathons!

You can read more of my story here

Shannon Dewey said...

Hey there! Need some help in finding the right kind of juicer? This might help - Ninja Juicer, The Versatile Option
Kinda liked it very much!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Those recipes look great. I tried a sweet potato and an apple with cinnamon this morning and it was amazing.

I have a similar juicer, I didn't even realize the difference between centrifugal and masticators -- how do you get your greens to not just fly right through to the pulp chute?

I tried rolling them tightly and sandwiching them between other produce, but still they just slip right through unjuiced.

Fred Haro said...

This blog has very distinct features. Thanks MADONNA

Lucas Moore said...

This is really a great post and i think every one should follow it. Juices are really very beneficial for us and every one should take it daily. I usually take goji berry and orange juice. Thanks for the nice post.
Goji berry juice

Stacey Beck said...

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try all of these! I just got a new juicer and I'm so excited to use it.

http://moreappliancesandelectronics.com/Juicers