Friday, March 19, 2010

friday love

I love cookies.
you already know that......but as much as I love them,
I also love fitting into my swimsuit come warmer weather (really liking this one).
But sometimes, I just need a cookie.

So I whipped up these....
....I wouldn't quite call them cookies.
Just "cookies".
Are they the best cookie you've ever had? I sure hope not!
But do they stand in place of a cookie, when you really want one, but maybe shoudn't have one (10:00 at night.)
Yes.
This was the most guiltless cookie I have ever sunk my teeth in to.
A great afternoon snack for the kids too (they are surprisingly filling!)

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal "Cookies"
1/2 c chunky peanut butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4c ground flax seed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°
Stir together oats, flour, flax, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, mix together peanut butter and brown sugar.
Mix in egg and vanilla.
Slowly add in oat and flour mixture.
Mix until just combined.
Form in to balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Press dough flat, adding chocolate chips to top of dough.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.
makes about 18
enjoy (and still fit in to your swimsuit...bonus!)
We have LOVED the sunshine this week!! We cannot get enough!! I have fully enjoyed neglecting my housework, just so we could spend our days outside. Running, jumping, and rolling down hills!
We love to create. Every day.
I looooooove the photography in the spring Toast Catalogue.
Really really liking these guys right now. This artist is new to me, and I'm so happy to have found them (thanks hays:)


Happy Weekend!!!

What did you love about this week?

10 comments:

whitneyingram said...

I loved the day when my boys slept in until 9. I loved the Girl Scout cookies. I loved going to Sunflower Market and buying artichoke hummus. I loved figuring out that the cheapy Western Family brand diapers really are better than the Kirkland ones. I loved having a traditional Irish dinner with my family the day after St. Patrick's Day. Hamhocks and cabbage, colcannon and soda bread.

And I loved the weather! Windy, warm and unpredictable. That is a sure sign of spring!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i loved baking bread for great-grandma's 90th birthday, complete with handmade cards from the kids. and decorating the easter tree.

p.s. aren't A&J amazing? i love 'just a boy'-the video is awesome. and A is the dream guy of my hippy heart. mmm...

banananutmeg said...

Poor little chocolate chips.
Can you imagine their excitement when they realized they had been placed into THE Sheena's shopping cart? I bet they thought they'd be made into a fancy ganache, or those walnutty chocolate chocolate cookies, or even dipped in a bath of peanut butter on a spoon (aka-a bite of sanity).


It's like they KNOW that they've totally been cheated out of their lifelong dream of being baked into something sinful and delicious. Instead, they've been forced to live out their lives as tiny con-artist confections, carefully placed as a guise to lure in the cookie lover and fool them into thinking they are about to eat something gooey and fattening, but deep inside, the chips KNOW.
THEY only the ONLY yummy part of a diet snack.

SEE how they're trying to get out of the cookie? They know they don't belong there.
I think I hear them,
"help us! There was NO shortening involved in the baking process, I saw NO butter, and now I am rubbing chunks with something called Flax! Please don't eat us this way. It's a trick, you idiot!"

Thanks for the warning, lil' chips.
not cookies.
not cookies at all.

banananutmeg said...

ps-I love the crusty turquoise door in the last picture.

sheena said...

ahahahahh!!! Meg wins for best blog comment EVER.

But in all reality, I think the chips were happy. Happy because most of the time they ARE eaten on a spoon of PB, so they were ok with a little change this time. They were the shining stars of this un-cookie. Happy to be a part of a "diet" treat, trust me, they were.

Just you wait Meg. Chocolate cake with coconut frosting coming up this weekend. No dieting allowed.

Jackie Norris said...

Oh, can't wait to try to those "cookies"!

summer said...

i loved.. sunshine, 50 degrees, & cookies.
there's a 'whole wheat' label now?! sweet.

this un-cookie is still totally tempting me. i think it's your pretty pretty picture-taking. and the pb + oats + chocolate combo. speaking of which..

tried your flourless pb cookies yesterday. they were insane. man, new favorites coming left and right these days. (thank you, thank you!) how do you find all of these brilliant recipes?

can't wait for chocolate cake w|coconut. and meg's comment really does win best ever.

A Beautiful Life said...

I have two girlies that are allergic to PB..so I'd feel bad if I made these, well maybe I'll make some different cookies for them and while they're enjoying their sinful ones, I can eat these and feel part of the group!!
I love the warmth & sunshine, just wish it wasn't so fickle in this state of Utah!!
I enjoyed playing with my girls, lightening up my attitude AND my hair, and although I didn't love mother nature and my hormones this week, I will LOVE Monday to get back on track and start training for some little races..not a Sheena type race, but beginner type races..;-)

Jessie said...

I made the cookies, and they're awesome. The only problem is, since they're so healthy, I feel entitled to eat them as meal substitutes. Breakfast? Why not have a cookie!

Anonymous said...

These cookies got me through exams!
-Maria