Monday, March 1, 2010

"graham" crackers

And I do say "graham" because there is actually no graham flour in these.....but did that stop us?? no. I was hoping for a little snack for my kids, and turns out I was the one doing most the snacking. These are so buttery and good (even with 100% whole wheat flour!)--they taste a lot like shortbread....mmm.....

recipe adapted from tracey's recipe

"Graham" Crackers

2 1/2 cups whole what flour (+ a little all purpose flour for rolling)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.

combine the butter, dark brown sugar, and honey. Mix on medium speed unil well combined, about 1 minute. In two additions, add the dry ingredients, letting the first fully incorporate before you add the second.

Turn the dough out and flatten it into a rectangular shape, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes or up to 2 days. (The dough can be frozen, well wrapped, for up to 1 month.)

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Unwrap the chilled dough, and on a lightly floured surface, roll it out into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Using a ruler and a pastry cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into 3-by-3-inch squares; use a spatula to transfer the rectangles to the prepared baking sheets as you go. Reroll the scraps of dough once, and cut out more cookies. Using a paring kninfe, gently score each square to create a line down the middle, taking care not to cut all the way through the dough. Using a fork, pierce each rectangle with two rows of six to eight marks.

Bake the graham crackers, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until they are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.


enjoy.

15 comments:

summer said...

ooh! i couldn't have special-ordered a better post. i just made some homemade sea salt crackers and they were tasty, but the texture was a total flop. i was looking for something far more shortbread-ish. and lo and behold! looks like you have just the thing for me today! a sweeter version, but hey, i'm not complaining about that. (thank you!)

i'll keep experimenting with the salty crackers, and hopefully eventually i'll be able to have both salty and sweet in my cupboard. isn't it just plain cool that we can make things at home like crackers? a year or two ago, i would never have thought of it.

ps. watched 'food inc.' over the weekend. i was captivated. i told my husband that i really, really want to live next door to that farmer with the horn-rimmed glasses.

Ms. Wife of the Year said...

Homemade graham crackers?! These never would have occurred to me. Not ever in one million years. Thank God for the internet.

Nicole said...

i love the fam blog! i'm keeping my eyes on you. i'm a friend of bri's in PA. beautiful blogs!

Lauren said...

la la la LOVE this post. excuse me, i'm going to go make some graham crackers now.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

mmm...trying them tonight.

Erica Lea said...

Isn't making crackers so much fun? Yours look scrumptious. Love your photos, btw.

Kristin Hanson said...

I'm passing you an award!
http://dakrihanson.blogspot.com/2010/03/brianna-awarded-me-with-beautiful.html

Teresa said...

OMG!!!
Can't EVEN believe you made HOMEMADE GRAHAM CRACKERS!!!
That is so neat!
I just know these were oh so yummmy! And I bet they were oh so good dunked in MILK!!!
xxoox
What a neat mommy you are!

AllAmericanGrl said...

have you ever heard of this website? its where you can buy cook books .. I just came across today on Facebook and then looked it up on the internet ...

http://www.ecookbooks.com/

Melissa said...

I’m embarrassed to be so gushy, but I just have to let you know that I think you are AMAZING! I’ve been out of town, so tonight I had a lot of catching up to do with your blog and I have been inspired left and right. The pictures you took of the graham crackers: beautiful, the ones of Wyoming: breath-taking, and the family with the baby-oh my! I am so jealous that they got to have you! And now I want to go thrifting, make peanut butter, definitely watch Jamie Oliver, take pictures of my home town, make a terraneum, and almond cherry thingies, and build a table ☺ Thanks for all the inspiration!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked the graham crackers! Yours look really wonderful - I love your photos :)

Amy said...

I'm gonna make these!! My girls love graham crackers!!
Loving your blog, loving your voice, loving your photos. Keep up the amazingness..

Nathan and Hailey Frogley said...

How much granulated sugar? it's not listed in the ingredients! I really want to make these! They look sooo delicious!

Heather said...

I have always wanted to make my own grahm crackers, but was never brave enough to. Thanks for posting about it.

I am having a link party featuring healthy snacks. I would love it if you would link up.

http://cookingwithmyfoodstorage.blogspot.com/2011/02/healthy-snack-mix-link-party.html

Wendy said...

I made these earlier this week (ate a bunch) and then used the rest as a base for the graham cracker crust in a cheesecake I made for a family visit - so yummy!

Thanks for sharing!