Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tabouleh

mmm.....I am craving some Reef's Kitchen.

My friend Tara told me that she made Tabouleh last week.....and I haven't stopped thinking about it since!

Must. Make. Tabouleh.

So I did. I threw in a few extras....because as long as we're eating a veggie meal, we might as well eat LOTS of veggies, right?

First I had to buy the bulgur wheat.
I had noooo idea what I was looking for--or where to find it.

Ta-Da!! Bulk section at Whole Foods.

It looks like this. (check out that hand modeling!)
To prepare it, add one part bulgur, to 3 parts boiling water.
Let soak for 1-2 hours.

Tabouleh (with spinach and cucumbers)

1/2 c dry bulgur (prepare as shown above)
2 tomatoes, diced
1/4 c red onion, finely chopped
1/2 a cucumber, diced
1/2 c spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 c parsley, finely chopped
1-2 TBS fresh mint*, finely chopped
(*I am not a mint lover, some recipes call for up to 1/2 c mint--so add to taste)
juice of 1 lemon
2-3 TBS olive oil
a good sized pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients, and let sit for 30 min-to an hour before eating.

We ate it for a quick dinner with flat bread and hummus.
I also think it would be perfect with salmon!
enjoy!

ps. anyone have any other good bulgur recipes?

11 comments:

LobotoME said...

I do!! One of our favorites. The Scheherazade Casserole from Moosewood Family Cookbook. Here's a link to a reprint of it. http://www.loulies.com/scheherazade_casserole_bulgur_garbanzo_mollie_katzen I use 3/4 organic, dried soy beans (soaked & cooked ahead of time vs. canned). I usually double it and put it in 4-5 pie plates and freeze them. They re-heat great.
enjoy, jenny :)

ashley maureen said...

hi sheena, wanted to let you know that i love your blog. thanks for this recipe... it's one i will for sure have to try!

{Erica} said...

oh yum! can't wait to do this soon! awesome pictures of course!

cara lou said...

Must eat this now. That meal is like a dream for me. Nom nom.

I just had some of this from the prepared foods at Whole Foods while on the run the other day. It was super good, but I think homemade would be x100!

Erica Lea said...

I really like Tabouleh. My sister made some for a Middle Eastern dinner we hosted and it was delish. She used couscous instead of bulgur.

Unknown said...

Mmm.. I'll be making this too. I had some last week (at a little potluck) with dried cranberries, nuts, feta..

Tara said...

Now I am REALLY sorry that I forgot to bring the rest of the tabouleh over to you! Most of it is still sitting in our fridge, it was just a lot. And you may be getting some more bulgur so I hope you get a good recipe. :) I like the spinach in it, looks pretty. Do you think you'll make it again?

Amie said...

This is HILARIOUS. Last night I spent my evening preparing Taboulleh from an old cookbook, but my recipe says it should sit for 24 hours to let the flavors marry. It will be on my blog tomorrow!

And I, like you, didn't know what the heck bulgur wheat was. And my Whole Foods didn't have it in bulk! :/

Lisa said...

This looks amazing! I would love to try it one day. Thanks for a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic! I love adding additional veggies to traditional recipes...a nice little twist. Lovely, lovely photos!

Brandon Bridge said...

This is one of our favorites! Our friends from Turkey taught us how to make it...yum. It's the best with some fresh feta cheese crumbled up in it!