At the beginning of the month, I was introduced to the Reverb10 site....and fell in love!
They give you a daily prompt to reflect on, and write about your experiences from 2010.
I haven't had time to participate daily (uh, it's only the 14th, whoops) but I wanted to chime in when I could--and maybe even go a bit in to January.
just a little something Christmasy.
This was the prompt from December 11,
What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life? (Author: Sam Davidson)
11 Things I don't need in 2011
1. To always be on the go. In 2010 I did about thirty client sessions, including weddings, engagements, bridal sessions, and family photos. This is a tiny number compared to most photographers, but for me it was too much. A lot of those dates are Saturdays--a full day that could have been spent at home being lazy with my family, working on projects, at the farmers market, or out in the yard. Not to mention all the computer time I would spend after that. I have loved being able to work with some of the people I have worked with, and help capture their special memories. But I have realized at this time in our lives, with the kids so little and growing every day, and Robby in school, I want to spend all the time together that we can--while our kids are still small, and still like us:) I have decided to put a hold on weddings and family sessions for now, so I can have some time to explore some other areas of photography, and have more time at home. Yay for home.
2. Late nights. We are terrible. No more late nights. A 10:30 bed time sounds wonderful.
Why is it so hard?!
Obviously. Who needs clutter. But I always let it build up so easily....and so fast! Where does it come from? And then I always put it off until tomorrow....and tomorrow's tomorrow. Then I was really inspired by Natalie's post
, where she says why wait until the New Year to make changes? Why not start now.
So I did.
Today I cleaned off my desk. I like it! And guess what.....it didn't take long at all. It just takes a bit of motivation, and some good Pandora of course.
4. To compare. Isn't it so hard not to? And Mr. Internet over here just feeds us and feeds us with more things to compare ourselves/our kids/our husbands/our houses/our shoes to. I need to stop the comparing, and start owning what makes me, me.
Hi. My name is Sheena. I have fuzzy hair, my house is a billion years old (and so are my neighbors), my kitchen is too small, I can't afford to shop at Anthropologie, I don't know how to apply eye shadow, I like to decorate my home with old junk, sometimes my kids wear pajamas all day and let's face it sometimes I do too. And that's me. And I like it....even though it may be different than you.
there is a start.
5. A tiny kitchen. See how I did that? I worked something into this list that I DO need, because I really don't need this tiny kitchen. I'm so sneaky.
6. To not hate Dolphin Pose. (haha and maybe you think the picture makes it look easy, and I am a sissy....but it is the WORST!)
I loathe it. Abbey calls it out and I want to swear at her (abbey knows this)
! But should I be thinking these things in yoga? no.....it's kind of opposite of the point of yoga actually. And the thing is, I've done it so many times now, it's probably not that bad anymore, but in my head, Dolphin is terrible! I need to let go of those thoughts..... like when I had myself convinced that sushi was something I'd never try.....and then I finally let myself enjoy it, and now I crave it all the time.
I need to get out of my own head sometimes.
7. To wear a bra.
No really, I just don't need to.
8. My kids' mismatched socks. I mean first of all, where do they go??? But second, why do I stress out for weeks about finding the perfect match! I will let one sock sit in a corner somewhere, just waiting to find it's lost mate. I'm done. Sorry little sock, if you sit there for a week, you are gone too.
I feel better already!
9. A baby. Do I want one? Yes. Does it seem like everyone and their mom (not my mom, haha, weird) is having one? yes. Does it hurt when I worry that I might not (but I might!) have another? Yes.
But I have got to let go of the need.
My boy and my girl are perfect and happy and good and easy, and let's admit it, they are ADORABLE!! They are all I need right now, and I will constantly remind myself that. If someday down the road we are blessed with another, then let the baby needing begin:)
10. Winter Blues. I never think I have them, until spring is finally here and I realize, WOW, I am REEEEALLY happy! Come January, February, March I want to fill my days with nothing but sunshine, sprinkles, and sparkling rainbows. Will you help me?
11. Lyme Disease. Next spring will mark my 3rd anniversary with the nasty little bug. I think it is time for us to part ways....I'm thinking 2011 is going to be the year. Yes.
Your turn to play along! This was really fun to think about, and decide what I really DON'T need in my life. Please feel free to post 11 things here, or a link to your own blog with your 11 things.
11 Things YOU don't need in 2011.....go.