Tuesday, July 24, 2012

grilled guacamole

I LOVE guacamole. I could eat it every day (and often do). 
It pairs well with so many things, and it's perfectly easy to throw together. 
I also love putting veggies on the grill, and in the summer it's just about the only way I cook vegetables--brush with olive oil and grill. easy easy. 
So when I pulled out my guac ingredients when I was already prepping to grill some fish......I just thought......why not?!
the little red house blogthe little red house blogthe little red house blog
Grilled Guacamole
I wondered if this would even turn out all that different than raw guacamole, and I was so happy with the results. It made a completely different dish.  The onion flavor was much more tame, and the jalapeno had a deeper, roasted flavor. 
These measurements are approximate--add a little and subtract a little as you like. For me the perfect guacamole is all about the salt and lime--as long as you have those to things you are set.

-2 ripe avocados
-1 jalepeno
-a small handful of onion (as you can see I used two tiny onions from the garden--I don't like the onion to overpower. play around with more if you like.)
-handful of cilantro, finely chopped
-juice of 1-1 1/2 limes (add a little at a time until you reach your perfect "limeyness")
-large pinch of kosher salt (also taste as you go with the salt. I add or take away a little depending on how salty my chips are as well. I'm telling you, salt is KEY)

-Cut avocados in half, take the seed out, and brush the insides with olive oil. 
-brush onion and pepper with olive oil. 
-Grill on medium heat until grill marks appear, and pepper starts to blacken (be sure to rotate the jalapeno)
-Scoop the insides of the avocado out, finely chop the onion, rub the skin off of the jalapeno (it should come off easily) and take the seeds out if you don't want it too spicy. dice.
Add grilled veggies to bowl with lime, cilantro, and salt. 
Mash with a fork to combine.
Let chill in the refrigerator for about an hour so flavors can mingle and party it up.
Servie it up with chips, fish tacos, burrito bowls, breakfast burritos, or our favorite nachos. the little red house blogthe little red house blog

enjoy!

What's in YOUR guacamole? 

17 comments:

whiness said...

Maybe I'm strange but I've never eaten guacamole. I even have no idea how it could taste like. Well.. I need to try.

summer said...

ours usually has red onion, a little squeezed lemon, garlic, salt, and cilantro... but lately we have been doing a splash of apple cider vinegar if we don't have lemon or lime- it's amazing!

GRILLING it all. :) thank you for this! i can totally picture the difference it makes.

connie said...

I put minced green onions, tomatoes, diced serrano or jalapeno, chopped cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt in my guacamole. I love guacamole, great as a dip, and tasty on dishes, too.

Lisa said...

My dad makes the best guacamole ever. I haven't found another that compares. But, I am partial.

smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
smith said...

This is a great idea! I normally grill red onions for my guacamole, so your recipe is very appealing.

I typically do avocado / lime / pink himalayan sea salt / grilled red onion / a splash of balsamic vinegar ! a little unconventional, but i love balsamic.

-amy

Eileen said...

Grilled guacamole? I definitely have to try this!

Unknown said...

i typically add the same ingredients. the only thing different i usually try is adding a little cottage cheese mixed with salsa-sounds different but it is amazing!

Angie's Recipes said...

A great idea of using roasted avocados to make guac!

Melissa said...

Wow, grilling the avocado...brilliant!
Totally going to do this.

Edith said...

Wow!! Such a good idea!!
I am already a huge fan of guacamole (a dip...come on...it's totally a main) but that would even make it better :)

M.E said...

What a brilliant idea to grill the veggies before, I'm a huge guacamole fan and like you, I pair it with almost anything!

Heidi said...

I'm usually a get the avocado in the bowl and mash as quickly as i can so I can taste it kind of guacamole girl. But it looks like I"m going to need some patience so I can enjoy this recipe. Looks stunning!

EM {Pushups with Polish} said...

OHHHMYGOD! Why haven't i thought of this?? can't wait to try it this weekend :) xxo

...With Love and Cake said...

I know I'm late to the party but have you ever tried Nigella Lawson's Roquemole...a blue cheesey avocadoy mish mash (as in Roqueforte+guac)? Ohso divine.

Unknown said...


RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Unknown said...


RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Do you have a bad credit? Do you need money to pay bills? Do you need loan to buy, refinance or renovate your home? Is it necessary to start a new business? Do you have an unfinished project due to poor funding? Do you need money to invest in any specialty that will benefit you? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS aims is to provide excellent professional financial services which include the followings

* Personal loans * Business loans
* Home loans * Farm Loans
* Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
* Truck Loans * Car Loans
* Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
* Venture capital and many more.

We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances

Best Regards
Prof. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com