Friday, September 20, 2013

reason to celebrate

montana. just because.
bigsky copy
All day yesterday I thought about Kassidi. I was sitting at my table eating breakfast--my house was quiet, chilled but sunny. I thought about her as I ran through the leaves that are slowly transitioning to red and gold. I had to write these thoughts down.

Kassidi and I went to rival highshools--we played against each other in basketball and spent long summer days together at girls camp. I know her husband Brandon from school as well, and let me tell you, they are fantastic people.

I haven't seen Kassidi since we were teens--but thanks so the miracle that is the internet, we have been able to keep in touch.

Yesterday Kassidi did her LAST of sixteen chemo treatments for breast cancer.
She is 30.
She has two young children at home.
She is fighting (and winning!) cancer.
Yesterday she celebrated her last chemo. Her battle isn't over yet--she still has radiation and surgery, but for right now, she celebrates a HUGE victory.

I think of all the dumb things we worry about day to day. Silly little things that weigh on our mind and get us down. How easy it is to forget ALL of the tiny miracles that take place each day, and each are a reason to celebrate. Kassidi is celebrating the end of chemotherapy--I'm sure you can find something to be grateful for as well.


From Kassidi's blog (HERE):
"I remember feeling that nothing else mattered in that moment. The chairs I had been looking at on craigslist the day before. Worrying about our van, and our financial situation. Where we're going to end up after college. The kids' messy rooms. The colors and patterns of things on pinterest I was loving. EVERYTHING. You name it, it didn't seem to matter anymore. What mattered now was what I was going to do with my time. How was I working on, and cultivating, the relationships I already had?? How was I connecting with these people? How was I sincerely showing these people that I loved them, and secondly how often was I allowing God to help me. How was I going to show Him my appreciation, and how was I going to serve Him?"

I have a gratitude journal that I got 2 years ago. Guess how many pages are filled out?
ONE. This will change--today--I have so much to be thankful for and celebrate.
A few big things. A million little. Things that matter. People that matter.

My body is healthy and strong. A few years back it wasn't. I have been symptom free of my Lyme for 1 1/2 years now--and I am thankful for that every time I run through the mud or climb a mountain with my kids.

My kids and husband are happy and healthy and wonderful and smart and funny. 
Couldn't ask for more.

We live in a beautiful place with the most amazing people near. Sure our house is old and quirky and we lose a few shingles every time the wind blows......but does that matter?

I wake up each morning to the bluest sky you can imagine
daily fresh eggs from my own chickens
fridays. and saturdays. and sundays.
chilly mornings wrapped in cozy blankets
kid art
mountains.
desert trips
talking to my mom for over an hour on the phone
it's pumpkin and squash season!


so much.

Find things in your life to be thankful for. 
REAL things. 
People. 
Celebrate them.

What are you celebrating today?



*****
Kassidi has inspired me in many ways lately--and I'm hoping to start something here that can [hopefully] continue to inspire others. 

Who inspires you? 
I want to know their story--I want to share it here. 
I don't want to feature someone because they have a "dream house" or fantastic "style". 
I want to meet people through this world wide web who are living a life with purpose and intention. 
I want to know them. Share them with me! 
I'm going to check back in with Kassidi in a few months and talk with her and share with YOU all her gems of knowledge. 
For now--please--if you know someone who you find to be inspirational, 
send me to their site. 
Maybe they aren't online--send me an email: sheenajibson at gmail.
I have a few people in mind that I hope to introduce you to soon.....


see kassidi's full blog HERE


10 comments:

capturingtheride said...

Thank you, Sheena :) There are inspiring people all around us, right under our noses. My heart is super soft today and I'm so thankful for your efforts in helping to highlight the uplifting and inspiring instead of just "what to wear" and "how to make your house look like it came out of a catalog". Ugh. Little by little over the past couple years I've quit looking at many blogs...but yours is one that IS inspiring, giving a nudge to look on the bright side of find the good, or be better...thank you dear lady :)

Hugs from Texas

whitneyingram said...

Here is the link to the blog of my friend who's two kids have spina bifida. Her name is Millie and she is a fun, smart Texan. You would like her.

http://getusedtothestairs.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

this is beautiful. love love love it. i tend to be a dreamer and fall in the trap of wishing away now and wanting to be somewhere in the future. and i need to focus on now. thank you for this reminder. i'm heading over to her blog now. -natalia

Nicole said...

Perspective. Thank you!
My sister Megan inspires me everyday. 5 years ago she was in the deepest depths of an eating disorder that was controlling/destroying her life. She was brave enough to ask for help, and after years of hard work and determination she is a new person. She knows how precious life is and is such a light to those around her. She blogs at:

http://downwitheatingdisorders.blogspot.com/

Romney Family said...

What a great post!!! I remember playing basketball against both of you even though you both were a couple years younger. No matter what we go through in this life we all have so much to be thankful for and need to remember that there are those out their that are suffering or going through more than us. I really enjoy reading your blog!! So uplifting and fun!!!

Unknown said...

This is a great post to put things in perspective. Being more aware of all of the things in life that we are grateful for RIGHT NOW seems so simple, but we rarely take the time to acknowledge this. I love reading your blog - it is a bright place that adds some sunshine to my day. Plus it always gives me motivation to get outside and PLAY. Thank you for sharing your lovely words and pictures with us!!

jenniferhoiyin said...

You are the best sort of person. Thanks for inspiring and lifting others like me. x

Taylor said...

I don't know her personally, but I love reading Allison's blog about seeking justice in our everyday life, as well as her commentary on current events from an understanding, Christian perspective. She's a social worker. She's at http://allisonbuzard.com/

SKCranePhotography said...

It's important to be thankful for things. It's a great trait everyone should carry around with them. I just moved far from friends and family and everything familiar. I was feeling bad for myself and then I thought how lucky am I to have such wonderful people, things, and places to miss. I've learned that loneliness can be a beautiful thing when you can leave it for a minute. It means that you are fortunate enough to have something to be lonely from. It's a great life lesson.

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations to your friend. It is a true blessing and miracle that she finished her chemo and is beating the cancer. I am so happy for her and her family. My best friend died this year, at the age of 28, from breast cancer. I miss her so much but I also know that her death does not take away from the many miracles and blessings that occurred as she struggled to beat the cancer. And as I remember all of those blessings and miracles, I feel a sense of peace that only the Lord can give.

Anyways, great idea for a series. Heartwarming and motivating stories is much better than posts that make me want what I don't need.