Sunday, January 23, 2011

sunday supper

-roasted chicken (very simple with onion, lemon, and rosemary)
-wilted chard
-roasted root vegetable gratin

celery root, rutabaga. 
both in season. 
both delicious (my kids DEVOURED this dish)
celeryrootchardrootveggiedinner

Roasted Root Vegetable Gratin
Jen's recipe from last weeks cooking class


-6 lbs root vegetables (any combo of potatoes, fennel, celery root, rutabagas)
-3TBS butter
-a few sprigs of sage, leaves only, roughly chopped (or a dash of dried sage if you don't have fresh)
-2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs ( I toast two pieces of whole wheat bread and put them in the food processor)
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2-2/3 cup your favorite pesto--I used a basil and orange pesto I had frozen from the summer (or pesto recipe below) 
-(optional) washed and rinsed leafy greens 

arugula pesto recipe

1/2c arugula or basil
1/2c parsley
1 c spinach
1/2 c almonds
2 cloves garlic
zest of 1/2 lemon
pinch of salt
1/4c-1/3c olive oil

Preheat oven to 350°
Rinse and dice root veggies 
Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and a bit of S&P
Place on a cookie sheet, and roast for 30-40 min until fork tender. 

While veggies are roasting, prepare pesto and breadcrumbs:
For the pesto--combine ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. 
For the breadcrumbs--melt butter in a pan over medium heat with sage, cook until fragrant--a few minutes.
Add breadcrumbs and mix well.
When the veggies are roasted, mix together with cheese and 1/2 of the breadcrumbs. 
Add pesto and breadcrumbs to top, and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden. 
optional: serve on a handful of mixed greens

enjoy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i have never eaten anything like this and it looks scrumptious!

whitneyingram said...

Celery root always reminds me of mandrakes from Harry Potter.

This way of cooking vegetables has intrigued me. Ideas flowing.

Herr Janosch said...

Love it. I became hungry only by looking at your beautiful foodpictures!

Megan Joy said...

Just wanted to write you a little note to tell you how much I enjoy reading all of your food posts! Your photos are always fantastic. What lenses do you typically use to shoot food?

banananutmeg said...

This makes me want to sing, "greens greens and nothing but greens, parsley, pepper, cabbages and celery..."

hahahaha. I've never eaten arugula, maybe I will try it sometime (smothered in butter) now that it has your stamp of approval.

"rooting through my rutabaga, raiding my arugula, ripping up my rampion, my champion!..."

I can't stop.