Wednesday, January 19, 2011

winter wednesday

ssshhhhhh.......listen.

It's silent as I type this.

I hear my Littles softly breathing while sweet dreaming, and Charly is snoring by the back door. 

The house is warm, and smells of bread.

Winter is quiet. Still. 

It begs you to stand back and just watch. 

Take little tiny moments and turn them into something bigger. 
...

I had bread cooling on the counter, and moved it to the table so I could clean the kitchen. 

The night moved on quickly. 
baths. 
jammies. 
The BFG. 
An hour later I walked through the room--
I took the time to notice,
it looked pretty to me.

Something so simple, looked pretty, but only because I took the time to look.
slice

Winter Survival Tip #3: slow down. watch. listen.

I find myself enjoying the little things much more in winter--even though the days are shorter, I feel as though we have more time.

We spend more time indoors--together. 
Snuggling and playing.
Watching movies. 
Napping.
Reading. 
Doing nothing, which just may be the very best something.


slow down today, and take time to listen or look for something new.....I'd love to hear about it:)

16 comments:

theappletea said...

so great post! :) So comforting! :)

Lesley said...

i was just thinking about this yesterday as matilda and i were reading books on the couch. there isn't the pressure to go and "do" something. it's too cold, guess we'll have to hole up and snuggle...

T&T Photography said...

I am so happy I found your blog. I just love it... I really do. This post reminded me that it's okay that I have the tv on for the boys during these snowed in days...because we do get to snuggle together while watching it. We laugh together ... and we are quiet together. Thank you!

Carol said...

Love you Sheena!! Thanks for your insight and wonderful reminder!!

Clandestine Road said...

What a lovely meditation.

Anonymous said...

beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sheena!You have a really uplifting blog!
It's so strange...
I made similar thoughts today and wrote about it in my latest posting!So, feel free to visit and read about the things that filled my day.

Jalene said...

i wrote a post similar to this yesterday... husband breathing..

http://jaleneb.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-awakening.html

Tara said...

I like this post. That bread is beautiful. The jam is too. I need to go make lunch now. :)

Stef said...

I needed this post today. Thank you! I need to remember to enjoy the little times with my husband since we don't have as much time to spend with each other due to conflicting work schedules.

Oh, and that jams looks delicious!

summer said...

beautiful. your lamplight photos are sooooo pretty!!
slowing down to look at a clean kitchen is one of the best "doing nothing" moments in my day.

and doesn't toast and jam seem like it's made for winter?! i can't get enough of it.

whitneyingram said...

I am sitting here, trying to slow down and listen and watch.

Right now, my round-bottomed little daughter is sitting on the floor as the afternoon sun comes through the window and lights up the golden tones in her wavy, crazy hair. And I can hear her little babbling noises and panting because she is excited about the toy she is playing with. Such a delight.

Samantha said...

This post is like a warm blanket in the winter. Comforting.

Amelia PS said...

Dear Sheena:
I am so glad I saw your post today in the Food New Journal (so thankful to discover your blog). I just posted something about a small winter moment myself... the stars must have been aligned.
This is a wonderful post, I feel as if I was there, in your house, smelling that warm bread, and enjoying the quiet evening!
Amelia from http://www.ztastylife.com/

The Cilantropist said...

New to your blog (came over from Best of the Blogs on Foodnewsjournal) but LOVING it. Truly. Coincidentally I baked bread all weekend and so I can identify completely with slowing down and appreciating time. I just subscribed, can't wait to read more of your posts. :)

Unknown said...

i just came across your blog today. I love it, and the photography is beautiful.
do you mind sharing where you got your kitchen table. Its just what I have been looking for!