Wednesday, January 19, 2011

winter wednesday....bonus round

This bread is awesome. 
I just had to share the recipe (adapted by Orangette found via Summer
the only thing I changed was the molasses to honey.
bread and jam

Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
w/peach jam from summertime

1 package (2 ¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
3 Tbsp. honey
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
1 cup rolled oats
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 ¼ tsp. table salt, or to taste

Grease a large bowl and a loaf pan (see above) with butter or cooking spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2 cups warm water, the yeast, and honey. Stir briefly, and then allow the yeast to bloom for about 5 minutes. Add the flours, oats, and butter, and stir to mix. The dough will look rough and shaggy. Cover with a towel, and let stand for 30 minutes. [This rest allows the dry ingredients to absorb the liquids, making for a dough that’s easy to work with and even-crumbed.]

Attach the bowl and the bread hook to the mixer. Add the salt, and mix on medium speed for 6 minutes. The dough should come together around the hook and slap around the sides of the bowl without sticking. If the dough is sticking, add a tablespoon or two of bread flour, sprinkling it down between the dough and the sides of the bowl. [Alternatively, you can knead by hand for about 15 minutes, adding flour as needed.] The dough should be soft and supple and slightly sticky.

For the first rise, scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it a few times. Put the dough into the greased bowl, cover with a towel, and leave it to rise for about 1 hour, or until it is doubled in size. To see if it’s ready, gently push a floured finger into it. If the dough springs back, it needs more time; if the dimple remains, it’s ready for the next step.

To shape the dough, scrape it onto a floured work surface. Press down on it, working it into a square shape, taking care to depress any bubbles. Fold the dough down from the top to the middle, then up from the bottom to the middle. Next, bring the newly formed top and bottom edges together, pinching the seam to seal. Pinch the sides together, and roll the shaped dough back and forth, plumping it so that it’s evenly formed and about the size of your pan. Place the dough in the pan with the seam side down, and press it gently into the corners of the pan.

For the second rise, cover the dough with a towel, and let it rest in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until the dough rises to half again its size. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.

When the dough has finished its second rise, bake for about 35-40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The loaf is ready when the top crust and bottom crusts are nicely browned. To see if the bread is ready, give the top of the loaf a thump with your hand. If it sounds hollow, it’s ready; if not, give it another few minutes in the oven. Remove the finished loaf from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Resist the urge to cut in until it’s fully cooled, so that the crumb has time to set and the flavor can develop. (haha yeah right, I didn't resist at all)

bread and jam

yum. homemade bread makes winter 1000x better.

happy wintering.

8 comments:

Angharad said...

Umm yes, yes it does. I need to jump back on the bread making bandwagon. My husband bought me a book last Christmas (yes a year ago) and I've only made two or three loaves since. And yet, I'm intrigued...just lazy.

Thanks for re-inspiring me :)

summer said...

i recognize the shape of that loaf... yaaaaaay! i LOVE this bread. so glad someone else is enjoying the goodness:) your peach jam looks incredible!

Cre8tiveQueen said...

Yes the jam recipie please =) with all that bread ... maybe you'll need to make some more jam! I make rasberry jam but seriously I love that orange color... DE-LISH!

cara lou said...

I will be trying this bread asap. I'm on a 2-year-long quest to find the perfect whole wheat sandwich bread that is better than what I get at Trader Joe's. Crossing my fingers that this is it!

gram said...

.. sheena.. why don't you just send me a loaf???

jenniferhoiyin said...

i saw this when molly posted it, and still haven't made it. it just moved up my list. again.

Lauren said...

This bread looks fantastic! Definitely going on my to make list :).

Tara said...

I am in the process of making this. What have I gotten myself into?? haha And where is my kitchen aid?? I think the "if you don't have a kitchen aid, you can just knead it by hand for FIFTEEN MINUTES" part of the instructions should have stuck out to me a little more before I started. :) I didn't do it. I'm getting a bad feeling about this...