Tuesday, November 13, 2012

soupy

It's really funny how much I am loving this weather. I am 100% a summertime girl, but these first few wintry storms of the year I just love. (don't worry, I'll be complaining come February). 
The snow, the icicles, the woodsmokey air. Snowballs, snuggling, and of course......soup.

Yes, I am thankful for soup.
We have soup a few nights a week this time of year. It's easy and there is always something that can be thrown in a pot and magically transformed into soup. 
It's warm and comforting and perfect for bread dipping.

Here are two different soups that we have enjoyed lately*......
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Bacon Minestrone 
adapted from THIS food network recipe. I added more garlic, herbs, the pumpkin puree. 
3-4 slices of bacon
1 small onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 cups of chopped kale
3 carrots, sliced
1 small can of tomato paste
1 cup of butternut squash or pumpkin puree
1 TBS fresh thyme
2 TBS fresh oregano
1 cup of small pasta (I used orecchiette)
1 can of white beans (I used butter beans)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese + a small piece--about an inch--of Parmesan cheese rind, plus more cheese for garnish
2-3 cups chicken broth
4-5 cups of water
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon until crispy, remove from pan.
Add onions, kale, and carrots to the bacon drippings and sauté until they begin to soften.
Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in fresh herbs, tomato paste, and pumpkin/squash puree.
Add chicken broth, water, beans, parm rind and pasta. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and crumble the bacon back in.  Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Remove the Parmesan rind, stir in half of the grated cheese. Ladle into bowls and top with
the remaining cheese.  
Serve with toasted sourdough....mmm.....

soup #2...
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Black and White Chile 
1 small onion, diced. 
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can of black beans (rinsed/drained) 
1 can of white beans (rinsed/drained)
3-4 cups chicken broth
1-2 cooked chicken breast, shredded
juice of 2 limes
1/2tsp+ ground chipotle pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Saute' onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least one hour (I have even added the chicken frozen, and just simmered it until it was tender enough to shred. otherwise I sauté it with the onions.) 
top with your favorites. we like cilantro, sour cream, avocado, and tortilla chips.


*if you have been following my blog you know I'm not always super specific with my "recipes". 
It's more of a guide, add little here, a little there, tasting along the way.....the easiest way to make soup.

What are YOU thankful for today?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beginning to Fall and Winter are always my favorite. I get to look forward to all the best parts of each season (soup included). When winter starts to outstay its welcome then it becomes a little frustrating, but until then it's soup, sweaters, and snow galore!

capturingtheride said...

Thanks for the soups! I was sitting down to write my grocery list and thinking about dinner and I am going to give these a try! We tried your pumpkin waffles a couple weeks back and are addicted :) THANKS!

Today I am thankful for...having a car to run errands! We are a one car family and my husband bikes to work a couple of times a week so the kids and I can have a car to run errands or explore our new city. Thankful for the car - and especially thankful for the husband :)

Josie said...

mmmm
i will be putting this is my to be made pile
yesterday i made roasted corn and cheese chowder...

Kimber said...

totally going to make a soup inspired by you tonight now, thanks so much! and i've made apple chips twice in the past month because of you now!

capturingtheride said...

Made the Black and White Chile last night - mmmm. Thanks again for sharing such wonderful food and getting me actually pumped to make a meal :)