Tuesday, March 23, 2010

birthday cake fit for a thirty year old

It was actually his idea.
I asked him what he wanted, to which he replied (without hesitation)
"chocolate cake
almond frosting
toasted coconut".

ok.

Chocolate Cake with Almond Buttercream and Toasted Coconut


1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c (or a couple good globs:) of mayonnaise. yup. get over it.
1 tsp pure almond extract
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
*this is my grandmas chocolate cake recipe.....be good to it:)
Mix together: 1 cup boiling water and cocoa. Set aside. (I also threw in a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips because I would have eaten them otherwise.....that part is optional!)
Mix flour, soda, and salt together, set aside.
Cream together in large bowl: butter, sugar. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. mix in mayo.
Add almond extract.
Add the cocoa/hot water mixture and beat for 2 minutes.
Add the dry ingredients, and stir just until mixed.

Pour into greased round pans.
Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Don't forget to cool them on wire racks or they will stick to the pan and fall apart into pieces when you try to take them out, forcing you to glue them back together with a sloppy frosting job. Not that I know that from experience or anything.


Almond Buttercream
10 TBS butter, room temp
5 c powdered sugar
4-6 TBS milk
1 tsp pure almond extract (a little more or less to taste)

Cream together.

Toasted Coconut
Heat oven to 475°. Place 2 cups of sweetened coconut onto parchment lined baking pan. Place in oven and watch closely, turning coconut over as needed. 10-15 minutes.

Invite your friends over, pour yourself a tall glass of milk, and enjoy!

20 comments:

nicole said...

oh, looks so tasty.

Anonymous said...

that looks amazing. i'm not a fan of coconut, but you make it look delicious.

Burk Family said...

I had a feeling you'd put this on here. And I was glad you did because I noticed it in the picture you put earlier and thought, "Ooh, that looks SOO good. I hope she puts the recipe!"
Mmmmm..I have a FANTASTIC coconut sour cream cake recipe. It's my fave. Add 1 small box vanilla pudding mix to a yellow or white cake mix and 1/4C. extra oil and bake in 2 9-inch rounds. Cool completely and cut in half (like filet them. Also if you freeze them overnight it's easier) Mix 1 pint sour cream, 1 small pkg. coconut, and 1 small container cool whip and refrigerate 3 hrs or more. Spread mixture between each layer and all around top and edges of cake. Let sit in fridge. This is my family's favorite and is so pretty too.

Burk Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Burk Family said...

Okay, i should have specified that you make the cake according to the directions on the back of the box but with 1/4C more oil. And I forgot that you add 1 1/2 C. of sugar to the sour cream mixture. Mmmmmm...sugar....

banananutmeg said...

all i see is a pretty table and a cake stand. I want both. you can throw in some cake, to...if you must

summer said...

first: i'm in love with your cake stand. thrift?
second: almond. brilliant.
third: adding this to the 'to-bake' list.
fourth: this is really, really pretty.
thank you!

frabala.com said...

i am very very in love with the cake itself!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

The cake looks sensational and then there's that beautiful pairing of the cake stand with the scalloped edges and dishes with scalloped edges. Just lovely.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I'm a sucker for all things almond so this is going on my to-bake list ASAP.
Thanks for sharing. :)

ashley maureen said...

oh what a beautiful photo! a deliciously looking cake atop a perfect ruffled stand and matching white plates to serve upon... what more do you need?

Xiaolu said...

This looks amazing! What a lucky man you have. Especially love the texture of the toasted coconut.

Lillie said...

This sounds like the MOST delicious cake. I could eat almond extract in EVERYTHING.... although I think I only have ONE recipe that actually calls for it--- I can't believe I've never googled something like this--- it sounds amazing. Well only because I got over the mayo thing a while ago with my first choc/mayo cake. You're hilarious. And brilliant, and darling, with great hair.... does it get old--- the over the top comments from people who've never met you? I love your blog. Can't wait for my photo.

Rachelle said...

kelly would love this!!! love!

thanks for the recipe. kelly turns 30 in about a month. was robby totally bummed about about the age thing? i think kelly is scared to be 30!

Marla said...

looks delish.
your blog is stunning.
plus it's a nice little refuge from the office.

lisa is cooking said...

Beautiful cake, and it sounds like a delicious combination!

Memória said...

What a precise birthday wish! I love how he knew exactly what he wanted. I don't like nuts, but I like the subtle flavor of almond extract. I will have to make this cake. It looks perfect.

happy birthday to him!

Anonymous said...

Aw, how nice! I love when people tell you exactly what they want you to bake for them. Knowing that you can provide just what they want is such a nice feeling :D

Beautiful photo. I really like that cake stand, too!

nicole said...

oh that's absolutely gorgeous. i think i must find an excuse to bake one soon :)

Anonymous said...

Our Signature Cakes look great on any dessert table. Each one has a different layering of ice cream and cake, so there’s one for every kind of cake lover. You can pick from such delights as: holiday cakes