Wednesday, March 3, 2010

what-to-make-when-it's-raining-and-you-want-to-bake-but-know-you-shouldn't-make-cookies, bread

that's what I'll call it.

I think it's of the banana bread variety, but it's whole wheat, and has carrots and some other silly things in it.


Banana (and then some) Bread

1 stick butter (1/2c)
1/2 c sugar
1-2TBS honey
2 eggs
3-4 very ripe bananas
2 large carrots, shredded
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2c whole wheat flour
1/2 c whole oats (not instant)
1/4 c ground flax seed
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

in separate bowl mix together flour, oats, flax, baking soda, and salt, set aside.

mix butter, sugar and honey.
add eggs, one at a time until mixed in.
add vanilla, bananas, carrots, and milk until well mixed.
slowly add in flour mixture, mix just until blended.

spoon batter into greased 9" loaf pan
sprinkle top with chopped pecans and oats
place on bottom rack in oven and bake at 350° 75-90 minutes (if the top starts to get too brown, cover with foil)

and if you're feeling really ambitious, you should make some butter too.....mmm....butter.


be happy that you baked something semi-healthy, and not cookies......wink

6 comments:

Kaylynn said...

Sometimes I am so jealous - though I don't bake a lot there are times I wish I did. Today was one of those days, but by the time I had music class for Kara, Presidency meeting, team mom computer duties, dropping off an afternoon kindergartener, going through the mail I haven't picked up in over a week, and getting everything ready for what I said I would help with enrichment tonight - I wouldn't have even had time to warm something in the microwave.

Thanks for posting all your yumminess. When are you moving back as my neighbor so you can share.

Nicole said...

i am really enjoying your blog. it is restful and calming. thanks.

summer said...

first of all, i was so happy to see your spring header! and is it ever a cute one.

lately you seem to be reading my mind with your posting, sheena. yesterday i sat down stumped at what to bake.. i was determined not to do cake or cookies, and i already had crackers and wheat bread in the cupboard. hmph. next time, i know exactly what to do. (thank you!) this bread sounds and looks marvelous! and i love that it has carrots in it. too cool.

ps. your blog is my new favorite thing.

Jen said...

Oooh Sheena! This sounds divine. And... I was actually thinking of making cookies. ;) Have you been to the sunday suppers blog? I loved it at first for the photography, but the recipes they share seem quite divine as well. :)
ps: if you ever make a cookbook... i'll be first in line! loving all these fabulous recipes!

Ms. Wife of the Year said...

Can I make these and then make cookies later? Or can I frost this?

Courtney said...

I think I'll try this tomorrow. But I think a handful of chocolate chips might find their way in! :)